Issues Creating Data Dictionary in Pathfinder Office

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Leobriant, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Leobriant

Leobriant

Hi all,

I need to create a data dictionary in Pathfinder Office and then load it onto a Trimble unit.

I will need to record dozens of species associated with one point feature, so I am wondering if it is possible to have only 1 drop down that contains all possible species, and design it so that when a species is selected from the drop down, it gets put into a list, but then make it possible for the human data collector to choose again from the same drop down to enter in the next species. I'm hoping to have a list of species associated with that point as the end result

What I am trying to avoid is having dozens of drop downs within my data dictionary. As I understand it now, it is only possible to have one drop down for each species, so my data dictionary is congested with dozens of drop downs, making field data collection very inefficient.

Additionally, there are literally 100's of possible species from which to choose in these drop down lists. Is it possible to program some kind of autofill in the Trimble units using Pathfinder? It would save time in the field if my technicians could simply enter in the few first letters of a species and have it pop up, as opposed to scrolling through a list of several hundred species using the Trimble stylus.

Thanks for any information.

Leobriant, Apr 17, 2017
  2. Leobriant

MarioM

I am wondering the exact same thing. I have a data form that I converted into a data dictionary but there is one entry that needs to have a list of species that surround that point and the only way I can think to do it is 1) too slow in the field and 2) kind of clunky. Creating a drop down for each individual species would make the dictionary very long and it would take a lot of time to go through each species. I imagine a checkbox list of possible species being the best solution but have not found a way to create this.

MarioM, Sep 19, 2017
Ask a Question