It's gotta be child-proof

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by davecason, Dec 10, 2023.

1. davecason

davecason

Hi,

I pulled out my old Garmin 60CS here today and put some batteries in it and turned it on ....... pretty screen and pages and nuthen.

Can't see bupkis not one bird, reset the unit in software, plugged in the external little square mag mount antenna, same thing after a while it says: can't see nuthen want to run off line or keep trying to acquire sats? Still nuthen so I hard reset it (hold down enter + page and power it on)

Still nuthen - brought it home and plugged it in to my Win 10 PC and see this ......... in dev manager. (see attachment) It can't see it either and mapsource says theres nothing there. Web updater samething .......

It on board time says it SEP 01-23 for some reason ....... what am I doing wrong - it was happy last summer?

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Dec 10, 2023
  2. davecason

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your best hope is to leave the GPSMAP 60CS outside in an area away from buildings / trees etc. with new / recharged batteries for an extended period (maybe hours) in the hope that it will regain connection with the satellites, if it does it will reset the internal oscillators (that may have drifted off frequency) and also store the correct time / date in the unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 10, 2023
  3. davecason

davecason

OK, thanks ! I'll give that a shot ..... what do I do when it whines and say it can't find anything? Do I just hit that continue to try to acquire option on the screen?

Cheers'
    Dave

davecason, Dec 10, 2023
  4. davecason

davecason

Hi, Well I put fresh batts in after I read your post and that was at 10 AM - its now 7:00 PM and no change at all.

Same as before but now it say low batt ...... :)

Other than wasting a set of batteries ....... Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

davecason, Dec 11, 2023
  5. davecason

LostAgain

Strange that it didn't pick up satellites and start working when outside for such a long time.
    Does it have a 'set location on map' option when searching for satellites on the satellite page?
    Sometimes that can help get things working with Garmin devices.

Diagnostic menu perhaps?
    With it powered off hold Enter and Power it on should boot it into the Diagnostic Menu
    Hit Page to go to the next test screen
    Hold Power to exit the Diagnostic Menu

Maybe try a master reset instead of a hard reset?
    Hold Quit + Menu + Out then Power on.
    Leave it outside again after doing that.

Or maybe something in the Error logs might help find the issue?
    On the Trip Computer page, Rocker up, then right, then down, then left.
    Rocker left or right to choose Shutdown or Stack.
    Rocker up or down to select desired Error Log, viewable at the bottom of the screen.
    Quit to exit.

LostAgain, Dec 11, 2023
  6. davecason

davecason

I know ..... I've had it for years .......

Pull it out press the power button and usually within a min or two the sat icons start changing color form grey to various colors and its away and happy.......

A "master" reset !?! OK, I did what I thought was the master one with enter + page and then power up! Let me try your
    Hold Quit + Menu + Out then Power on. and we'll see !

Wish me luck ! It's 7:40 AM .......I'll check it this afternoon ...... Tks for the suggestions !

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Dec 11, 2023
  7. davecason

davecason

Well it's now 3:00 PM and it was outside again for 7 hours and no change ...... I did say keep searching when you first turn it on it tries a bit and then asked you if you want to keep trying so that was pressed at about 8:00 AM.

No luck but here is a screen shot of the various diag screens ...... There a text one and then a bunch with what look like color tests for the screen, the cover has been cracked for years but the screen is fine......

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Dec 11, 2023
  8. davecason

davecason

Holy Crap ......

I was just typing that message with the pics ...... I was inside and I just powered the unit back up to try top get in to that 3rd error log thing you said to try .......

I just powered it back up inside at my desk and it just showed a BAR on one of the satellites on the acquisition page !!

I just took it outside and NOW its starting to see birds - not great accuracy but hey presto it's alive ?!?
    That was weird ...... we'll see if the strength bars color up and the accuracy goes up from give or take 39 meters.

I'll give it a hour outside again ....... I wonder if jumping in to DIAG mode kick started it !?!

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Dec 11, 2023
  9. davecason

davecason

Yep ! It's getting better .......

I'll toss it in the car tomorrow and plug in the mag mount antenna and see what i get !

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Dec 11, 2023
  10. davecason

LostAgain

No probs for the suggestions, glad it's working again :cool:
    It's possible something got reset when you went into diagnostic mode and whatever it reset was causing the problem.

LostAgain, Dec 12, 2023
  11. davecason

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It may be that your 60CS was very cold when it wasn't working (2 Deg. C), I think this is linked to the low Frequency and off the scale X0 Drift values, here is my 60Cx :-

DSCN3975s.JPG

May be you could compare the non working and working values

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 12, 2023
Ask a Question