Kenwood GPS update

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Beanage03

Beanage03

Hi I am new to the forum

I have recently bought a second hand Kenwood car stereo with built in Garmin navigation, it is a discontinued item and can't find no update for nav on Garmin website!
    I have read about linking it to a laptop and changing some files ( gmapsupp.img and gmapprom.img) to a newer update but unsure how to go about it?
    The model of the unit is Kenwood DNX7250DAB if that helps

I maybe shooting in the dark here as unsure how to update so hoping you guys can point me in right direction, I have attached few photos of model and info when I go in settings on unit

Attached Files:

Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021
  2. Beanage03

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There is a map update page here :-

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/...ediaTypeId=13&modelYear=2014&origin=mapUpdate
    Select Latest Map

Please Note that you should not delete or over-write any files on either the unit itself or any SD cards plugged into it without first backing up the data onto a computer and verifying that all files are securely stored, make a note of the folder (sub directory) where the files were stored so that you can restore them at later date if necessary

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Beanage03

Beanage03

Not working that link? I noticed garmin express but unsure if would work with my unit? Do I have to pay for express

Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Beanage03

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Not sure what happened there, I have changed the link in post #2

Garmin Express is free to download

If you examine the SD card and find the *.img files (possibly in a /Garmin) folder you may be able to copy all files on the SD card to s new SD, (don't edit the original) and then replace the *.img file with a newer map file downloaded from here :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/can-i-get-free-maps.46545/

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2021
  5. Beanage03

Beanage03

Legend mate thanks very much I appreciate that
    And yes I will note all files and folders and make back ups

Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021
  6. Beanage03

Beanage03

I'm.not sure if the files are on an SD card as there was no SD card in when I bought it, I just use the SD card for music but could swap to usb for music

I read that if I link the unit to a laptop it comes up as a mass storage file which has a Garmin folder inside so them files your talking about must be in there

Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021
  7. Beanage03

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The link in post #2 + select 'Lastest Maps' shows you how to use a new SD card to get maps from Garmin Express, the maps will be free if the unit has Lifetime Map upgrades, if you are not offered a map upgrade you could try looking at the file structure on the unit itself as I think new maps on SD are transferred to the unit's memory leaving the SD slot free for other uses

Alternatively the new SD card could hold free downloaded maps as shown in post #4

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2021
    Beanage03 likes this.
  8. Beanage03

Beanage03

Ok mate thanks for your help

Beanage03, Feb 9, 2021
Ask a Question