Kids GPS Watch

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by jimmybond007, Feb 9, 2016.

1. jimmybond007

jimmybond007

I have posted this question in another forum but just trying to double my chances of help...

I have bought a Kids GPS tracker watch that is on Ebay (It's called Topwatch) It's made in HK, the instructions are in ChEnglish. There is no support whatsoever so I am trying to figure this out myself...

The watch takes a micro sim and has the functionality to make calls to 2 predefined numbers and also for GPS tracking. There is an app in Android and iOS called Kidscare.

There a 2 lights. The sim light flashes green when it's in and operational (I have that working and we can make calls no problem) and the GPS flashes green when it's found a satellite. That's also working. So what's wrong you ask...

Well, I have a Lebaro sim with inclusive minutes and data. When I put the sim in, the app says 'online' and all is good. However, after about 10 minutes it says 'offline' in both Android and iOS and there is nothing I can do to get it back on unless I remove the sim and put it in again.

Whilst this I presume could be any number of reasons, I do have 2 questions. 1) Did I actually need data on the sim in the first place as it's my phone and app that's displaying the location of the watch and 2) Is it maybe going offline because I have the wrong sim? Lebaro uses Vodafone which is fine in my area but I have read that maybe the fact that it's not 2G only might be a problem which is why it says 'offline' after 10 minutes or so.

There is no way to change internet settings on the watch but then I dont think it needs data anyway now I've read around this. But the fact its says offline (and online sometimes) makes me think it's a GPS problem as isnt that how the watch is 'linked' to the apps?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

Thank you.

jimmybond007, Feb 9, 2016
    Maria likes this.
  2. jimmybond007

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't think the tracker is supposed to be 'on-line' all the time, If it was it would be making a continuous phone call, I would expect it to be on-line when first powered up an then wait for a trigger to force it to make a new outgoing call. This trigger could be a change of location detected by the GPS, a panic button pressed on the watch or after receiving an incoming phone call requesting a GPS location.

The watch is not linked to the App. via GPS, satellites send one-way location information to the GPS in the watch, the watch doesn't send anything back to the satellites, there is two way communication via the cell phone in the watch but you wouldn't expect the link to be 'always on'

To sum up, you don't need to change the SIM or the way it is working, in standby the watch battery is powering the GPS receiver, the cell phone receiver and the watch, anything else would drain the battery very quickly

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2016
  3. jimmybond007

jimmybond007

Really appreciate the response. So does the watch need a data sim. Makes sense that it shouldnt be on all the time but then it wont update when I call try to update location from the app.

4. jimmybond007

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

My understanding is that some trackers send and receive SMS text messages, these don't require data services, however I think trackers that can be monitored on-line by logging onto a website do require data services.

When you say in #1 that the GPS is working, does that mean you have received the location sent from the watch on your smart-phone?

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2016
  5. jimmybond007

jimmybond007

The green sim light on this watch blinks green when sim is working properly. So the watch is able to make a receive calls. The GPS light also blinks green so that is meant to indicate that it is working. The watch is currently on a bench in my garden and has been for 2 hours. No matter what I do, both apps just say offline. The watch has a lebaro sim in with inc minutes and data so I know its not that.

6. jimmybond007

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 9, 2016
  7. jimmybond007

jimmybond007

Thanks. I have seen that thread. As you can probably imagine, they were hopeless. Some didnt actually know how GPS worked and others just said it wasnt a suported device.

This is the watch by the way.

8. jimmybond007

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Please note that posts advertising products will be removed from this forum

Nuvi-Nebie, May 22, 2017
  9. jimmybond007

Miss L

Hi. Please help, my GPS tracking watch is working but every time I call the watch it says unknown number calling but it is all saved on the app. Also my daughter can’t hear me when I call but I can hear her. Please help...

Miss L, Feb 16, 2021
  10. jimmybond007

anders.marsh

1. try to save your phone number in the SOS numbers

2. you can check if the Speaker of watch is broken or not.

anders.marsh, Jan 7, 2022
Ask a Question