Laptop as monitor for Montana 600

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Scoutfollower, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Scoutfollower

Scoutfollower

is there a way to use a laptop as a much larger screen for my Montana 600? I am using map software (chip) for hunting (onyx hunt maps) that require a garmin device and it runs fine on the 600, it's just too small to make good choices quickly.
    I've tried searching and all I can find is how to use the NMEA data from the gps to the laptop...or downloading data from the gps to a laptop after a trip....nothing about a way to get a larger screen.
    I can make my laptop into a gps.....but I cannot use the hunting maps without certain Garmin devices......that's the conundrum.
    Any ideas?
    It seems so logical, there must be some catch I'm not thinking of

Scoutfollower, Oct 26, 2015
  2. Scoutfollower

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry, you can't 'send' an image of the GPS screen to another device such as a laptop, the difference is that a laptop is user programmable and the GPS isn't. I'm guessing you need a bigger screen when planning, as it wouldn't be very practical taking a laptop with you on a trip, it might be possible to use the Onyx maps on your GPS when it is connected to a computer running Garmin Basecamp, this is possible with Garmin maps, but the Onyx ones may be locked to prevent this. You would then be able to plan a trip on Basecamp and then send it to your GPS. Alternatively you could run the Onyx maps on another platform such as an Apple or Android device with a bigger screen, there is a link to Onyx Mobile Apps. HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 26, 2015
  3. Scoutfollower

Scoutfollower

Nuvi, thank you re the reply, I've used my iPad with a Bluetooth gps node and that is about the smallest screen for In vehicle use that is practical. However there isn't enough memory in my iPad to store more than a few dozen sections, when we are scouting an area we drive many miles of roads, knowing legal hunting ground is important but we had many instances where I hadn't downloaded enough of the area because I ran out of memory or time (it takes literally hours on a hotel wireless speed to download) and yes, I planned to mount the laptop in the vehicle.
    I guess I'll keep looking.

Scoutfollower, Oct 26, 2015
Ask a Question