Latest Garmin Handheld GPS

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Chris King, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Chris King

Chris King

Hi All

Recently posted a thread about Chirp issues on my 650T, but in a separate topic would like to know what the latest (newest) model of Garmin Handheld GPS is?

Is this is the 750 series or is there a newer version / later model pending release?

My 650T is pretty new in the box in terms of condition - little used - so is there any point upgrading say to the 750 series (or whatever the latest model is?) or shall I stick with the 650T - is the upgrade cost worth it or will I get no additional benefits, considering I use it most for Geocaching and walks etc.

Chris

Chris King, Jul 27, 2020
  2. Chris King

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I guess the main improvement from the 650 to the 750 for you would be the 'Live Geocaching' feature, details Click HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Chris King

Chris King

I suppose it all depends if you feel that live update in the field is worth the extra expense, I realise the 750T has more internal memory etc but not sure its worth that full price over the 650T.
    If I can work out my 650T shuts down after retrieving the Chirp details (dont want to reset it unless I have to), I would be happier.

Chris King, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Chris King

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, I'm afraid it's the law of diminishing returns, you can end up paying twice the price for that small extra feature, when you are really paying for the new development costs
    I'm afraid it may be a question for Garmin as Chirp users seem very scarce, I could only find a list of 418 'Chirp' geocaches worldwide, the problem is unless you get to talk to that one person who deals with Chirp, you will get the standard 'Factory Reset' answer

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 28, 2020
  5. Chris King

Chris King

I have replied to my own post thread on this, and now Garmin are back up on phone support and other areas, I have called.

It seems that the 650T has a bug that causes the device to power down after retrieving the information, it seems some units experience it more than some others, and mine seems to do it all the time. It has been reported as bug in the early days, but it seems whilst the software developers are aware of the issue and the fix is still pending deployment, its not listed as a urgent fix, plus the last software update was back in 2019 (as the unit was released in 2013), the 750(t) does not have this issue.
    Since the 650(t) was made in 2013 and the 750(t) in 2017, even today the 750(t) is their latest current model after 3 years, and the 650(t) which is still available at dealers is no longer a current model and whilst not discontinued, it is getting less support. I was also told they have no newer models in development at this time (i.e. no 8xx series)

After long a very helpful and long chat with their support technician, I was only offered one course of action, which was to return my 'new' (as it is still in new in box condition) to Garmin at my expense, and then after 10 days (Quarantine rules - which is what I was advised plus Covid delays) a refurbished unit with a new case/shell but refurbished interior, would be shipped at the cost of over £100 with just 90 days warranty.
    The other option was a new unit at full cost with 24 months warranty, which is what I have opted for via Amazon, since I have the Topographical maps from my 650T, I can get the 750 at a reduced price over the 750T saving myself about £50-£100. The 650T will be retained as a back up unit, and also should the fix be ever deployed it will then become a good second unit for Geocaching.

With regards to the Factory Reset route, I was advised as this was a bug (known bug) it is unlikely a factory reset would fix this and therefore would be a waste of my time and effort, so therefore would not fix the issue.

I agree Chirp users are scarce, it is a shame as the technology for them is so under used, and they are great fun for multi cache, and likewise offer a completely different challenge to those who enjoy the hobby.
    In fact sadly, smart phone users miss out unless they can find an app or add on to their phones to benefit, so it is predominantly Garmin Users who benefit the most and easiest.
    The one cache I own, people who have garmins have messaged me to say they enjoy the change in the experience and I do plan to set up another which is a longer multi, as my current one is just 1 chirp and a final.

Chris King, Jul 28, 2020
Ask a Question