Learning how to use the zumo 396

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by cpy84, Dec 5, 2020.

1. cpy84

cpy84

couple of questions.
    when following my own ride from basecamp, does it matter what ride preference it is set on like fastest time or .............

next say when stopping for lunch what do you do with the unit ? slightly push the off button so it doesnt completely shut off?

it appears if the unit is shutdown for any length of time with no power, when turning it back on, the ride has disappeared and it wants to start the ride over from the beginning. if that happens, is there a way to tell the unit where i am and continue on the ride?
    i turned it off for 5 minutes on the way home where i knew where i was and it did not pick up the ride so yes i hit the home button.

today was the first ride with it and we did a short 117 mile ride from basecamp . i deviated off the ride to make sure it will recalculate to get back on the ride and it did. now further into the ride we did hit a detour but as the unit recalculated it was trying to get me turn which would have run me back into the closed road. should i have hit the detour feature ?

i was looking at the manual on line i could not find the answers to my questions.

thanks in advance for any help.

cpy84, Dec 5, 2020
  2. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Changing the ride preferences will change which roads are used, e.g. fastest will chose road where you are allowed to travel at a faster speed, shortest is more likely keep changing roads in order to make the total miles covered as little as posible

Partial shutdown of the unit is fine, most of the power taken is used on the display so if the display is off then a large percentage of the power will be saved

When the unit is turned back on it will automatically find it's new position, so you should be OK to continue on the Route from where you are, the only problem will be is if you have intermediate waypoints that MUST be visted, as long as there is only the one (final) destination there should be no problem

You can download the user manual for the Zumo396 here :-
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/zumo396/EN-US/zumo_396_OM_EN-US.pdf

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 5, 2020
  3. cpy84

cpy84

yes i understand this while following the gps from point a to point b, but will it also affect my own downloaded ride from basecamp that i am doing?

thank you.

thank you

as for the manual i did find that one and was reading it , but it didnt seem to touch on my questions
    when i get to work monday, i will print it out.
    ghanks

cpy84, Dec 6, 2020
  4. cpy84

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes it will, the Route downloaded to your Zumo is not fixed, it is calculated by the Zumo and will be affected by the 'Fastest - Shortest etc.' setting on your Zumo

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 6, 2020
  5. cpy84

cpy84

getting more familiar with the unit. i normally mark all the way points as do not alert, but i have found by doing that it does change the ride/roads some. as i was following the last ride the gps had me turn onto a well used dirt road and eventually put me back onto the ride and it saved like 2 minutes being set on fastest time. even when setting it to adventurous it still had me take the dirt road. i decided to allow the alert of that way point and yes, it followed the route instead of turning onto the dirt road. live and learn. now what i am doing is studying the ride on base camp, then doing the preview on gps to compare then make any changes if needed.

cpy84, Jul 15, 2021
Ask a Question