Looking at older Handhelds - Need Advice on SporTrak and Meridian

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by bob95065, Apr 25, 2015.

1. bob95065

bob95065

I have a Magellan SporTrak Map that I use for 4x4 trips in the desert. I use it for navigation while I am out there and I like to get the track off the GPS when I get home. I overlay it in Google Earth.

My SporTrak seems to have developed a common problem. The plastic on the back has failed and the insert that holds the battery tray in the unit came out. I found a seller on eBay that has the back plastic for $15 but I am considering "upgrading".

This is what I like about my SporTrak:

• The map detail
    • I already own the car cable, windsheild mount
    • I know how to use it
    • Multiple screens; lots of data

This is what I don't like about my SporTrak:

• Monocrome
    • Track history limited to 2000 points
    • Small screen

The biggest problem I have with it is I fill up the track history. The screen size I can live with but I would like a bigger one if I could get it.

So I was poking around eBay and see that the accessories I have will work with other SporTrak models. If I went with a SporTrak Color I would have essentially the same GPS with a color screen and larger detailed map capacity. If I a patient I can pick one up for a little more than the back plastic to repair my SporTrak Map and in addition to the other pluses the Color model doesn't have the battery tray so I won't have to worry about another failure down the road.

I again poked around eBay and see that a Magellan Meridian Color uses the same cable and software AND it has expandable memory. I would need a new windshield mount but they aren't that bad on eBay. The track history looks like it is still 2000 points but I think I read that you can save tracks to the card which would be handy when the memory gets low.

Do you know if there are any other Magellan models that share a cable with the SporTrak models? If so do any of them have a color screen with capacity for more than 2000 track points?

Is the Meridian worth the upgrade from the SporTrak? What are the advantages besides expandable memory?

Any advice is appreciated.

bob95065, Apr 25, 2015
  2. bob95065

bob95065

81 views and no comments?

I won a Sportrak Color on eBay. The price was right and I don't have to buy accessories. It will buy me time until I figure out what I really want to use and I have to money to get it,

bob95065, May 1, 2015
  3. bob95065

dimonster

Magellan SporTrack is an old model.
    I advise you to buy modern Magellan eXplorist 510 (or 610 if you want magnetic compas).
    It have color touchscreen. Track is limited by 10000 points. And there are a lot of other interesting features.

dimonster, May 15, 2015
Ask a Question