Looking for a basic GPS to find waypoints

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by bitwyse, Feb 21, 2024.

1. bitwyse

bitwyse

Hello
    I want a handheld GPS to find waypoints I have entered myself (using geographic coordinates taken from maps on my computer) or recorded with the unit itself at the point. It must then display a compass (arrow) indicating the direction to follow to a chosen waypoint and its distance from my current position (on the same screen).
    I had a Canmore GPorter 102 which was perfect (but the accumulator - inaccessible - no longer held its charge) and this model is no longer available (if anybody has one to sell...).
    A Garmin forum suggested an Etrex EX which I bought and am sending back: it is useless. (I marked three points in a triangle of 300 m., 400 m. and 600m., using the multi-GNSS with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BEIDOU in good conditions, then a couple of days later I followed the GPS in the opposite direction. I calibrated the compass before each time. The errors for the three points were: (1): 68 metres (with the direction out by 15°), (2): 208 metres (!!!), then back to the first: 16 metres.
    I am accustomed to 0 to 3 metres (maximum 10 in difficult conditions) with only the GPS of the Canmore.
    Can anyone suggest a suitable model please?
    (I am not interested in downloaded maps (I use paper and a compass) or routes, Bluetooth or connection to a telephone. Just a USB port to connect to a computer.)
    Thanks, Christophe (from France)

bitwyse, Feb 21, 2024
  2. bitwyse

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Almost any GPS will allow the manual entry of Waypoints using Latitude / Longitude, it will also mark a Waypoint of it's current position and then 'Goto' these stored Waypoints using an arrow pointer and count down distance on the same screen, as these requirements are available on any GPS it doesn't really narrow down you search

I'm not sure which model of Etrex you are refering to as I couldn't find a Garmin Etrex EX, but if it has a GNSS unit with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BEIDOU I find it hard to believe it is less accurate than a unit that has a sirf IV GPS only module when used in the same location and under the same conditions

Garmin GNSS units sometimes have a choice of satellite constellations rather than use them all at the same time you are offered options like GPS only, GPS + GLONASS, GPS + BEIDOU or GPS + Galileo, I suggest you try these different combinations of satellite constellations

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 22, 2024
  3. bitwyse

bitwyse

Thank you for your reply.
    I have seen several GPS that don't display a pointer to a waypoint AND its distance on the same screen (some never show any pointer at all). Sometimes the compass just shows "the north" but not the direction of the waypoint you are looking for.
    The Garmin Etrex is indeed just an "EX" (the most basic). Yes, the location and the conditions for my test were about the same (used many times with my previous unit).
    With the Garmin you can choose "GPS only" - or "everything" (no separate choices). I had them all switched on (with good reception), thinking that would be the most accurate - I will try again with "only GPS" (which has the most satellites shown detected of all the GNSS.
    Best regards

bitwyse, Feb 23, 2024
  4. bitwyse

bitwyse

(A few days delay, it has been raining.)
    I followed the same triangle as before with "GPS only" and it started better.
    Point 1: Direction good, 8 metres error.
    Point 2: Direction perfect, 14 metres error.
    Point 3.: I never got there. I knew where it is and there was an error in the direction of 60° !!! So I stopped following the pointer and went directly to it. The distance would have been out by 200 - 300 metres.
    I don't know if it is just the one I had or if it is the same for all of this model, but I have sent it back and I won't ever try another Garmin.
    Thanks for trying to help. Regards, Christophe

bitwyse, Feb 26, 2024
  5. bitwyse

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you know somebody that has a Garmin GPS I would suggest borrowing it and trying it out, any moderm GNSS should out perform the Gporter but I wouldn't expect you to buy another Garmin GPS just to test out the theory

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 26, 2024
Ask a Question