Looking for a GPS handheld to meet my needs

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Northerndreamer, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Northerndreamer

Northerndreamer

I am a GPS "beginner" looking for a handheld device that meets the following need. I have a large rectangular shaped remote property. I have a survey map which shows only one point with GPS co-ordinates. This point is on one corner of the property (starting point). The map also shows survey calls such as N degrees 30 50' 20" E (as an example, not a real survey call) and distances below it. My objective is to start at the starting point and find a survey marker (which I know is there) at the next corner of the property. I understand that I can start at my starting point and follow the direction and distance using the survey call to get to my next point and determine the GPS co-ordinates of that second point. I have looked at the Garmin 64S handheld device but it appears that the "Project Waypoint" function only allows you to enter the degrees to establish the bearings. It does not seem to have the precision of "minutes" and "seconds" to get a precise direction. I feel that I will not be able to get a precise enough direction to find the survey marker. Does anyone know of a GPS device (Garmin or other) that gives me this precision? Thank you

Northerndreamer, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Northerndreamer

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think you have misunderstood how you enter 'degrees' into a GPS unit, you can select different formats when entering a position to use types 1, 2, or 3 in this example :-

https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/latitude-longitude-formats.46599/

As you can see type 1 is Degrees only and type 3 is Degrees Minutes and Seconds, to select type 3 on a GPSMap 64 goto Setup >> Position Format >> Position Format and select hddd mm ss.s

2021-01-24_09.37.50.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 24, 2021
Ask a Question