looking for a low-cost gps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by trekker, Apr 19, 2017.

1. trekker

trekker

Hi guys,
    Im new around here. I am searching for a gps for not to getting lost in mountains and cities I'd go to.
    Right now I am looking at
    1. Garmin 64s. 40$ more than a 64 - without one noted feature - the electric compass.
    2. Etrex 20x
    Can you give me recommendations? thank you

trekker, Apr 19, 2017
  2. trekker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Etrex 20x is half the cost of the 64s in the UK, so you need to see if you need the extra fearures that the 64s will provide. All GPSs will dispay a compass BUT it will only work when you change position, i.e. when you walk a few feet the compass will accurately point to North because it knows which direction you moved, All GPSs also have an altimeter reading (is is part of the GPS data), but it isn't as accurate as a seperate barametric altimeter.

I would say you probably won't need the compass, altimeter, and Bluetooth/ANT comms features you get on the 64s, (also they use more battery power), so I would go for the cheaper Etrex20x

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 19, 2017
  3. trekker

trekker

Thanks Nuvi_Nebie.
    What about Extrex 20x vs 64? They are $50 difference that I can get on Amazon US.
    Would $50 worth it?
    Or do you have any other better choice for me? Thanks a lot for your help.

trekker, Apr 19, 2017
  4. trekker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You really need to check what each unit offeres and decide if it is important to you, the main difference between the gpsmap64 and the etrex20x is the 64 has more sensitivity, this is useful for use near buildings or under trees, there will little difference when you have clear views of the sky in all directions

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 19, 2017
    trekker likes this.
Ask a Question