Looking for coordinate help

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by gps-confusion, Jan 23, 2023.

1. gps-confusion

gps-confusion

Hi all, I am hoping someone is able to help me :)
    I am looking for a particular location, it's listed in an online document that should direct me about ~1 mile north of the entrance of Arches NP just outside Moab, UT. However when I put the GPS coordinates into my Garmin (removing the 2nd decimals), it constantly puts me on the south side of the La Sal Mts, about ~45 miles south of where Im expecting. I need to hike to this location, and it's in a maze of slick rock, so it's important I get as close as possible. I have gone out 3x (again today, and not finding the spot, Ive totaled over 30 hiking miles looking).
    This may be an different format of logging coordinates that Garmin can recognize (that I know how to search for on Garmin), Im sure some on this forum will know much better than me, and when I use some gps conversion programs I found online it doesn't put me near Arches NP.

N 38.37.435 W 109.07.549

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

gps-confusion, Jan 23, 2023
  2. gps-confusion

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 23, 2023
  3. gps-confusion

gps-confusion

Nuvi, THANK YOU for the quick response, the coordinates you provided place me in the area I would expect what I am looking for to be, the only sad part is I was about 600 ft away from that location on my last walk, have to laugh! Thanks again!

gps-confusion, Jan 24, 2023
  4. gps-confusion

gps-confusion

Hi Nuvi, just wanted to say thanks again for the help, I was able to get back out today, and ended up locating the site I was after. It was in a very odd spot, kitty corned, down a slope and behind a rock slide, so I certainly would not have found it without the gps location, and your spot was right on, thanks again!

gps-confusion, Jan 30, 2023
  5. gps-confusion

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It sounding like a geocache, did the online document show 37.549 ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 30, 2023
  6. gps-confusion

gps-confusion

Its a nice ancient rockart panel (I believe Basketmaker culture, which makes the panel likely over 1k years old) there isnt alot of info online besides the article I mentioned, and since its in NPS boundary they wont tell you. I think the authors article inadvertently stated the wrong location. Since its not a government or university publication, where they usually redact or black out such info when posting online, I think it was just a typo.

gps-confusion, Jan 30, 2023
Ask a Question