Magellan Triton 400

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Will, May 6, 2016.

1. Will

Will

Hi,
    Was looking for some help with Magellan Triton 400. It is unable to acquire gps signal and wondered if anyone has run across this before and how to fix. I have reread manual and also tried online chat support and they had me reset setting back to factory. Is there a way I could have turned off the gps signal?
    Thank you,
    Will

Will, May 6, 2016
  2. Will

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

On the satellite page upload_2016-5-7_0-16-21.png does it show that it can 'see' any satellites at all? even though it doesn't get a proper fix
    does the unit display the correct time / date ? upload_2016-5-7_0-19-23.png

If the unit does prove it can 'see' some satellites, but it doesn't get a fix, it may have lost it's almanac (a list of satellites it expects to see), if the time / date is wrong, this will also cause the unit to expect the wrong satellites.

If the unit has lost this data it will have to do a 'cold start' which takes a lot longer to get a fix, however this should happen eventually, place the unit in an area away from trees / building etc. where it has a clear view of the sky for as long as possible

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2016
  3. Will

Will

Thank you so much for your reply. I took it outside and left it alone for a few minutes turned it off and then back on and it was able to reconnect to satellites. Changed the date as well. Must have been my location and ability to see satellites.
    Appreciate you responding and help.
    Thanks,
    Will

Will, May 9, 2016
  4. Will

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm glad you got it working, twenty years ago when I got my first Garmin GPS38, There was no way you would try to get a GPS to work indoors, Today they are much more sensitive, however as a general rule you still can't rely on GPSs indoors, especially when trying to establish an initial 'fix', they really need a clear view of the sky.

Nuvi-Nebie, May 10, 2016
Ask a Question