Making generic Mini USB car charger/Cable work w Garmin GPS

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Wagih Zayan Egypt, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Wagih Zayan Egypt

Wagih Zayan Egypt

Well, I faced the Garmin Nuvi car charger problem since I bought a second hand NUVI200 without the original car charger.
    The Nuvi insists to go in Data mode due to using Generic car chargers.
    The difference between the original charger & generic one is some small circuit at the Nuvi side of the cable, which SHORTS pins X & 4. (or in other words: M+ & Ground) as shown in the following URL:

Garmin Nuvi GPS Power - AllPinouts

I got the idea from a post on some Garmin fan, but instead of shorting the 2 pins

Instead of using a 2B pencil tip to do the short, I used an old trick which I learnt while fixing bad contacts in Wireless headset keypads.
    The trick is to use Kitchen foil paper to do the short.

I prefer thick foil paper as thin ones tend to get torn during the friction of plugging in.

I cut a thin strip & cover Pin 4 (GRND) and Pin X as in above URL. You can fix the foil paper in place using a drop of paper glue on the outer side of the jack. ( don't make the foil too thick)

Now plug in the generic car charger, and it worked .!... No need to enter maintenance mode or play games with the cable anymore.

Wagih Zayan
    Egypt

Attached Files:

Wagih Zayan Egypt, Aug 21, 2012
Ask a Question