Making Maps

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by trail56, Oct 19, 2015.

1. trail56

trail56

I am interested in making maps of mountain bike trails and was wondering if there is some software that can record where I am riding if I use a simple GPS device.

trail56, Oct 19, 2015
  2. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Virtually all Walking / Hiking GPS devices will store a 'Track' of where it has been, even very basic models that can't display maps (including GPS loggers without a screen), will create and store a *.GPX file, which is a string of single waypoints that record position, time, altitude etc.. This GPX file can be extracted from the GPS device and can be displayed using computer software. Garmin Basecamp is a free program that will display the GPX file against a map that is installed into Basecamp, this can include any maps stored on a Garmin GPS device. An example of a track in Basecamp is below :-

gpx-track.jpg

If you want to take mapping to a higher level you can upload your GPX file to a site like Open Street Map, and then use the GPS track to draw in any map feature you like e.g. a road, path, or in your case cycle track, this map is visible to everyone with access to the internet, so you should only submit features that are permanent and accessible to the public, for example I would add a public footpath, but I would not add a random path walked across a farmer's field

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 20, 2015
  3. trail56

trail56

speed 210,

Thanks for the info, I can hardly wait to get started.

trail56, Oct 20, 2015
  4. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you need any help with anything, i.e. Basecamp or OSM post it here, let us know how you get on

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 20, 2015
  5. trail56

trail56

OK, thanks.

One more question then. So with the mobile gps unit I go where I'm going to ride, turn the gps device on, ride the trail, shut the gps unit off, take it back to the computer and download it into the mapping software?

trail56, Oct 20, 2015
  6. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, do you have a GPS device already? if so what unit is it?, tracking sometimes needs to be turned on, so you will need to check it, you will then see a line being drawn on the display as you move. Every time you turn the unit off and back on a new track will be started and stored when you turn it off

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 20, 2015
  7. trail56

trail56

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    trail56, Oct 20, 2015
  8. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am trying to find some info. on the TK102, this device must store waypoints but I'm not sure if you can extract a GPX file from it, as it's a tracker with a built-in cell phone rather than a logger, it normally sends it's data to another cell phone or a website that will display it's position

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 21, 2015
  9. trail56

trail56

From what I am seeing about it the device needs a cell phone type SIM card with an account from a cell phone service provider and you pay a fee for that, the same as a prepaid cell phone.

trail56, Oct 21, 2015
  10. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have some more info. on you device, I originally looked up the TK102 which has very little storage and does just sent it's current location over the cell network, however your TK102B should have a MicroSD (also called Transflash) slot that can take a 2GB card, this is used to store positions when the cell network is unavailable, I have seen some documentation that say it is possible to extract the contents of the MicroSD via the USB socket to a computer, it will be in NMEA format but that can be converted into GPX using a probram called GPSBabel, However I have also seen reports saying just the oposite, i.e. you can't get the files off, so you will have to see what is in the documentation that came with the device. If you can't use the TK102B, you can use a smart-phone running a GPS logger App., I am using one called GPS Logger for Android by Mendhak that does the job
    EDIT
    Just saw your #8, I have sent a reply to you on your other thread, here :-
    http://www.gps-forums.net/threads/sim-card.46071/#post-225240

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 21, 2015
  11. trail56

trail56

Thanks for the info on both threads. I looked at the TK102B manual and I see what you mean about the SD slot, we'll have to see when it gets here.

I am zeroing in on a SIM card/activation at a good price, there are a lot to choose from.

trail56, Oct 21, 2015
  12. trail56

trail56

trail56, Oct 22, 2015
  13. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The SIM card only holds cell phone data, the position logging data will be on the MicroSD card which are sometimes supplied with a USB to MicroSD reader. It looks like the TK102B stores data on the MicroSD when the cell phone link is down, until the link comes back up, the problem is that it may delete data when the link comes back up

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 22, 2015
  14. trail56

trail56

Well I ended up buying a Insignia Flex 8" Android Tablet. I looked at smart phones but I don't want to pay that much for the monthly fee and I already have a cell phone. The Flex has a GPS function in it. Now I am looking for some good Apps for it. I have installed a few, some that record trips. I got it two days ago and have been going out walking and driving to record my trips. This is the one I used while driving today and a bit of walking, I like it ,https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator. I also have, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails, and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker, this one is the one I used while hiking two days ago. I have this one installed but haven't used it yet, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks.
    I am having a lot of fun using the GPS feature on the tablet.
    I will see about using the tracker device I bought with the tablet later.

trail56, Nov 27, 2015
  15. trail56

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I see you have lots of Apps. to play with, I guess they will record a *.GPX file that you can download to Garmin Basecamp. You can get the same OSM maps used by your Navigator App. onto Garmin Basecamp so that any *.GPX files recorded on your Flex8 will be overlaid onto the same maps in Basecamp. You probably don't need any more Android Apps. but if the ones you have don't do what you want, another one to try is called OsmAnd, this App. also uses the same free maps, link here :-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en_GB

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 27, 2015
  16. trail56

trail56

Thanks again Speed,
    Yes, so many apps, so little time. I have been installing a bunch so I can give them a try then weed out the ones that aren't what I need or another one of something I already have. I will look at the one you mentioned.

trail56, Nov 27, 2015
Ask a Question