Map download issue on etrex 30

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Les, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Les

Les

I wanted to load a map into my etrex 30. I loaded Basecamp on my computer and also updated my 30's software. I downloaded Idaho topo from GPSFileDepot. It was a 180M file. It came into basecamp and was just what I wanted. I hooked up my device and clicked on Maps, and install maps. Map install came up. I clicked on my etrex 30 and selected the Idaho topo map. When I clicked on finish, it only took about a half a second to download. When I looked at the Idaho Topo on my device's memory it was very small, less than a M. When I selected the Idaho map on my device it showed on the screen, but with very low resolution and very little detail. It was like the basic map view on in basecamp was on. It was pretty useless. I tried redoing this process and even tried to load the Idaho topo file straight into my 30's memory. But nothing I did worked. I can't get the high resolution map to install. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Les

Les, Aug 10, 2019
  2. Les

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This may be the known problem with the current version of Basecamp, Garmin introduced a 'bug' that stops non-Garmin supplied maps from compleating a download successfully. There is a fix for this (Click HERE), If this works for you please leave a comment below

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Les

Les

Hey, thanks a lot. Yes this worked. The full file and data loaded and works well on my etrex 30.

I'm not sure I would call this a bug though. When I loaded the file with the old newer software I never got an error. It said, data transfer compete. It just only load a very low resolution version. To do that I think it has to be intentional.

Thanks again,

Les

Les, Aug 11, 2019
Ask a Question