Map Update Old Nuvi 765T

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by peternsomerset, Jan 3, 2022.

1. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Hi,

I have an old 765T which still work but the maps are old! I did have a lifetime update card for it but cannot find it ATM.
    I have an 8Gb SD card in it and did have a whole Europe map installed a long time ago but Garmin Express will only allow partial maps now, yet the card shows 0% full.

I think I originally had to put the map on my PC then load it onto the card but it was a long time ago.

Can someone confirm if I can still do it and point me to the necessary information please?

I think I used BaseCamp which I assume has been withdrawn for Windows 10 etc?

Thanks for your time

PS I am a Linux user so could try other ways!!

peternsomerset, Jan 3, 2022
  2. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I find the best way to handle map downloads is to use Garmin Express to download the available map to the 'Computer Only *' and then use Garmin Basecamp's 'Install Maps' to send the map (or part of it) to the satnav, this is because you have more options in Bascamp to direct the map to internal memory or the microSD card, it also shows you what maps are already installed, how much free space there is etc.

* See picture below

express.jpg

Garmin Basecamp will run on Windows 10

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 3, 2022
  3. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks, I vaguely remember doing as you say quite a few years ago!
    When I plugged in the GPS Garmin Express did not give the whole Europe option (I think) but will check again.
    If I have a lifetime update card for the device will Garmin's database pick it up or do I need the card as I can't find it ATM!?
    Is there a Windows 10 download as I could not find one?
    PS I was wondering if there was no whole Europe option because it could not find the installed SD card!
    Thanks

peternsomerset, Jan 4, 2022
  4. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Express looks for a valid satnav to be connected to your computer, the satnav holds the download 'licence', so you shouldn't need the update card
    The latest version on Garmin Basecamp works on Windows 10
    The map options you are given may be limited by the amount of space that Express can find on your satnav, however by selecting 'Computer Only' this limitation won't apply as long as there is sufficient space on your computer hard drive, Express sometimes handles internal memory and microSD badly, this problem is fixed by using Basecamp 'Install Map'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 4, 2022
  5. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks for the info, I still could not see a specific Win 10 download, so will assume it will work with the Win 7 download.
    I will try Basecamp and report back in case anyone else has this old model.

Thanks for your time

6. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

2022-01-04_14.19.00.jpg
    You missed the 'or later'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 4, 2022
  7. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks, I had read the "or later" but interpreted it as a later Service Pack not a version! I spent a few years as a Technical Author in the past but obviously not enough!!

8. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Hi.
    I installed Basecamp 2D and have mapinstaller and garmin express also installed but still cannot get maps onto an SD Card.
    I have tried a lot of variations, different SD Cards formatted fat32 in win10 and Linux. I have a base Europe map on my GPS with some other odd maps which I think were installed from basecamp while testing but they are only on the GPS memory not the card.
    I can highlight various areas of europe but the map install show in your webpage is different and if i go to where the maps should be, I cannot find them.

Before having another try could somone point me to a detaied expalaination of the exact steps to get the software/hardware to recognize the sd card and where the card should be to write the map(S).
    I did try writing to the card slot on the laptop and to the GPS with the card inserted (card unlocked).

PS I could try other 16GB cards but I don't think the card is the problem!

Thanks

9. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It is the same text as displayed on the Garmin download site :-

2022-01-04_23.48.21.jpg

If you don't get the full Europe maps into Basecamp first then you won't be able to send them to your satnav, you need to connect your satnav to the computer running Garmin Express and get the Europe maps shown as available for download (to computer only, See post #2 above), if you are not given that option you can't go any further

Can you see the Europe maps you want to send to the satnav in Basecamp ?, if not what maps were downloaded to the computer from Garmin Express?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 4, 2022
  10. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Hi,
    In reply to your last question first, in Basecamp I can move my mouse around Europe and the squares change from yellow to black. Does this mean they can be down loaded to the computer!!?
    If I opt to download and highlight most of western Europe it took about 13 minutes on a good connection, does this seem normal?
    If the above is OK then do I need to load it onto a card fitted to the GPS or the computer?
    My problem ATM is I cannot see the map file or files on Win 10, it may be on it but I don't normally use Windows!!
    FWIW the GPS has a low definition Europe base map and a couple of small others which I assume I have added!
    For clarification, if I highlight lots of areas, does Basecamp always make one or many mapfiles and is there a specific filename/extension I should be looking for on the laptop?

Thanks for your time

I

peternsomerset, Jan 5, 2022
  11. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes
    Yes, the USB link from your computer to your satnav is only USB2 - It's not very fast

NOTE
    having re-read your question, I am not sure if you are talking about downloading maps from the internet to your computer or downloading from your computer to your satnav, obviously the download speed from the internet will depend on your broadband download speed

The Maps have to be sent to a microSD card fitted into the satnav because Basecamp generates a single map file for the satnav from the multiple files held on the computer
    You don't need to see the map files held on the computer (as long as Basecamp can see them), they are not in a format that the satnav can use anyway
    Basecamp will make a single file for each download, this single *.IMG file is only generated by the Install Maps part of Basecamp just before download, so it is not held on the computer

select.jpg

You need to put a microSD card in your satnav and connect it to the computer running Garmin Basecamp, go to [Basecamp] >> Maps >> Install maps and select the MicroSD card (Highlighted blue above) this may have a different name e.g. External Memory, Memory card etc., then Continue to this Map Screen

select2.jpg

Here you can see what is on the microSD and how much free space it has, it is easier to select the whole map, but you can select a smaller part of it if you wish, the screen will show you if your selection will fit on the microSD

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 6, 2022
  12. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks for the very detailed reply including answers to my questions, it is much clearer on how it should all work and that it seems I should be able to update to a UK and western Europe map if I can get it installed to the SD card!

FYI the 765T is about 12 years old and has a SD slot (but that should make no difference). My 13 minute download was from the internet to the laptop.

I have now also contacted Garmin who said there were problems with map files loading onto my old units and sent some info which I need to read with yours before proceeding.

Your information on Basecamp and it making one file for various map areas was interesting to learn.
    As you say I do not need to see the files Basecamp uses as they are regenerated anyway, but as I cannot find any files downloaded and I am having problems, I thought I would like to first check Basecamp had got everything it needed before loading onto the Nuvi (I now need to check in the Basecamp directory!) .

Thanks again for your information which I will keep as a reference and will come back to give any progress as others may still be using these old models!

peternsomerset, Jan 6, 2022
  13. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The SD will work the same as a microSD, the 765 should accept SDs up to 32GB, my internet download times shown in post #2 above will probaby be a lot slower than you can achieve because I only have a 4mb/s broadband connection, if you had say 40mb/s the 5.6GB map would download in about 18 minutes rather than the 3 hours shown

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 6, 2022
  14. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks, your comment on speed is correct as I have FTTC at about 48Mb/s.
    I had assumed no differences with cards but I am still having the problem with it loading onto a card.

I have progressed though, I can install most of the Europe I want on a 4Gb SD card using your information and can lots of gsm files on it and one .img file. Did a quick check and can see road names in Austria and Germany.

So it proves I am can load Europe maps and a 4Gb card can be used. When I tried to use an 8Gb card it fails at about 80% when writing to the card in the Nuvi. I also tried a 16Gb card
    but could not get it to work at all.
    I remember years ago have similar problems with higher and am wondering if it was so old it was not updated! Both you and Garmin have assured me it should work with cards up to 32Gb (I am not sure if the original FS was fat16).

I will have another try with larger cards in the next few days as I have now proved the process.

Garming did mentions problems with SD cards on earlier devices and said they would sent some tips but they just sent references to their articles which I had already read!

PS I could see the larger drives in the Nuvi and highlighted them, but nothing happened so I will try formatting again and come back with any progress.

Thanks

peternsomerset, Jan 6, 2022
  15. peternsomerset

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your SD card should be formatted as FAT32

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 7, 2022
  16. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Thanks, I have been doing that all the time so far but I thought originally it was fat16, it was a long time ago though!
    When inserting a bigger card it showed up in Basecamp, highlighted it and proceeded to sellec maps, but I think it showed only 4Gb on the bottom bar!

Will check again as I expected to see the higher capacities.

At least I have the majority of Europe on the 4Gb card now.

peternsomerset, Jan 7, 2022
  17. peternsomerset

peternsomerset

Hi,
    Just to say I have managed to load all the maps I wanted onto a 16Gb card.

I decided to reformat the card again and label it "Gar16Gb" to avoid any confusion during the download and loading onto the Nuvi 765T!
    When highlighting the the card in Basecamp and going to the select the regions it only shows the capacity bar at the bottom of the window as 4Gb!!
    BUT as I highlighted most of Europe it did not seem to fill the disk IE the disk was labelled 4 but it had a capacity of 16 and could hold the whole of Europe!!
    This may be particular tp my very old hardware or the software so I thought I would list it here in case anyone else has the same sort of problem.

Thanks for your time at least I now know how Garmin map updating works!

peternsomerset, Jan 7, 2022
Ask a Question