Map Updates and Corrections for Magellan

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by ajarmstrong14, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ajarmstrong14

ajarmstrong14

Hi All,

Just a quick bit of impartial advice.

I'm looking to upgrade my current TomTom GPS for my car and, am as sure as I can be that I'll not be getting another TomTom. I've been fighting TomTom for literally 2 years to add a missing SHOPPING CENTER and they've still not done it!

So, realistically, that leaves just Garmin and Magellan. Magellan seems a bit pricier than Garmin but I would appreciate your experience on this forum regarding when you report a map error or map correction to Magellan. Firstly, how long does it take Magellan to update the maps with the suggested changes? Secondly, if they say they've confirmed the change needs to be made, how efficient are they in getting that requested map update on the next map update? That's been the big fight with TomTom. Thirdly, is it easy to submit map change requests?

Looking at what the Magellan GPS's seem to offer I think I would like to have one despite the slightly more expensive price tag but I want to have a GPS where the company actually updates the maps correctly and in a reasonably timely manner i.e. no more than 4 months after being reported.

I await your advice in due course. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

ajarmstrong14, Dec 2, 2013
  2. ajarmstrong14

dave61430

I have a 2010 TomTom which is very good, but for some strange reason doesn't seem to know the courts where I live.
    Just got a refurbished Magellan with lifetime maps. Prior to updating, it seemed identical to the TomTom. After the map update is better but not as good as Garmin.
    Garmin uses NAVTEQ and is a very accurate unit. Both TomTom and Magellan use TeleAtlas. Google maps has just started using TeleAtlas for some reason so I would suspect that within a year or so there should be an improvement.
    Personally, I don't like Garmin as much as TomTom and Magellan seems to be the best from a user standpoint.
    But any of these units will have some shortcomings for accuracy or completeness. On just those factors Garmin is probably the better choice for the US.
    After saying all that, in practice they are all going to do fine on a long trip and if you are going to a strange area do a quick internet check before setting out.

dave61430, Aug 7, 2014
  3. ajarmstrong14

dave61430

As an update, I've had some email back and forth with Magellan support who will look into my issues. Apparently, although the initial base maps come from either Navteq or TeleAtlas, the updates are handled by a third party, so it's quite possible two vendors using the same source could finish up looking different over time.
    As a matter of interest, although Google maps are mostly accurate for the community in which I live, Mapquest is as screwed up as Magellan for the same areas.
    All this aside, I would not let my experience with this issue influence the choice of a unit. I just happen to have come across an issue because I live here and although Garmin seems not to have this problem here, other sites have people having an issue with Garmin elsewhere, nothing is perfect.
    I like the Magellan user interface over the other vendors, the route is clearly marked, voice is good, setup is easy, lots of points of interest (which appear to get updated with the map update, although nowhere is this stated). I wish my unit had voice linked to speed, but it's an older refurbished unit and later units have this feature. I would also have liked speed limit info where available with color change when exceeded.
    Unlike other posters, I had no problem updating the maps using windows 7 professional, just follow the prompts within content manager.
    Now we'll wait and see if support fixes my map problem.

dave61430, Aug 8, 2014
  4. ajarmstrong14

highway60

first time out with magellan din't go very smoothly

I had a experience I hope I don't have to repeat. I set my unit towards the Pocono's from Virginia Beach, the unit sent me up to 95, the wrong route.It may be a way to go, but with the tolls, and time waiting in traffic (1.5 hours), I could have gone up route 13 north, and got there much sooner, and the tolls would have been the same. I got this unit as a refurb from ebay for cheap, but I think I got what I paid for.The unit din't sense the additional wait time until 1 hour into my trip, and by then it was too late to change course. I am sure 95 has these back-ups everyday, the unit should have known in advance, and calculated better.

highway60, Oct 8, 2014
Ask a Question