Map will not remove from Etrex 20

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Regular Guy, May 28, 2012.

1. Regular Guy

Regular Guy

New to the forums folks, just looking for a helping hand. I apologize if I'm missing something blatantly obvious here, but this is my first real GPS (Edit: Although I consider myself fairly tech-savvy. Have used Rhinos, PLGRs, and DAGR's in the past) and I've been googling this for hours now and can't find anything on it.

I picked up an Etrex 20 the other day for an upcoming trip and added some maps just to see the functionality of the unit. I didn't have a mini SD for it, so I just added 3 pretty random maps to the storage on the unit itself using mapinstaller/manager and basecamp. When I tried to remove the maps afterwards (per pg. 43 of the owners manual) I was able to remove each of the .gmapi files that I had added, but when I power on the unit and go to Setup > Maps > One of the maps still shows up as an option to enable/disable. The other two are gone (as they should be).

In addition to searching through each folder on the device itself, I did a search on my eTrex for the filename of the map (including hidden files) and it's not there. As far as I can tell, it's not on my garmin but it keeps showing up anyway. I can also access the map just fine, so it's not just the name of the map that got left behind.

Any idea how I can remove this file (or where it's being kept?) Did it physically add itself to the default map or something? Barring other options, how to I clear everything out and load up just the original default maps again? Tried a master reset, but that apparently only resets the default unit settings, not maps that were added etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Last edited: May 28, 2012
    Regular Guy, May 28, 2012
Ask a Question