"Maps are Corrupt and Cannot be Used"

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bobinyelm, Sep 9, 2022.

1. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

I just updated my Drive 50LMT and the computer screen says "Maps Up to Date"

But when I turn on my Drive 50LMT it says, "Maps are Corrupt and Cannot be Used."

"Go to Garmin Express and Update the Maps"

I hooked up my GPS back up to my computer and started Garmin Express" and the screen said, "You're Up to Date"
    Software Version 5.90

I would happily follow Garmin's commands, but my Garmin Express will not update the maps my GPS says are corrupted and unusable.

BTW, if I TRY to use the GPS I get another message:

"Map Data id Not Available" (with a triangle with an explanation mark inside), and a button that says "OK"

Should I delete my Garmin Express and re-install it, or is there another way to reset my GPS and start all over?

The commands from Garmin contradict each other, so what should I do?

Bob

bobinyelm, Sep 9, 2022
  2. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Express is saying that the Operating System (5.90) and the loaded maps are the latest versions, they are 'Up to Date', Express can't check for corrupted files, do it can't see anything wrong

I would install Garmin Basecamp onto your computer and connect the 50LMT, this can examine the maps on your unit, in Garmin Express there is an option to download maps to 'Computer Only', this will place the map onto the computer hard drive and make it visible to Basecamp, you can also use the map installer in Basecamp to delete a corrupted map on the 50LMT and then send a new version (from the computer hard disk) to your unit

[Basecamp] >> Maps >> Install Maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 9, 2022
  3. bobinyelm

bobinyelm

Thanks-

I finally figured out what was happening (I think), which was my laptop used to update the unit was going into sleep mode, interrupting the download, and waking it up did not address the problem.

I deleted the Garmin Express program (several times actually) on the computer (it kept thinking the download had worked) and reinstalled it (this would allow Express to notice the maps were not properly updated and allowed me the option of reinstalling them), but the "sleep problem" just did it all over again each time I tried, but I didn't know why (then).

Finally I deleted/reinstalled Garmin Express, reset my laptop power management to not allow the computer to go to sleep when plugged into power, and get a GOOD download of the maps.

The problem was compounded by now living where I can only get 15 meg download speed, so it took a LONG TIME to download the maps, increasing the likelihood of an adverse event during the process.

I DID see the option to download the maps to computer, but didn't know what to do from there. Thanks!

bobinyelm, Sep 10, 2022
  4. bobinyelm

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm glad it is sorted, I too have a slow broadband speed (about 5 mb/S), this is why I always download to computer only, as a 3 hour download will be lost if Express finds a problem with the satnav's internal memory / microSD memory

As you say the power save options that places the computer's hard disk into sleep mode during this 3 hour period needs to turned off, after download I install the map to the satnav from Basecamp

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 11, 2022
Ask a Question