mind of its own

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bikerdad, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Bikerdad

Bikerdad

I have a Garmin zumo 390 , the problem starts when I download a trip I have prepared using Base Camp to my Zumo . I create a trip or route on base camp and then I run the simulation to see if there are any errors , the simulation runs flawlessly and shows me exactly where we are going normally this is for motorcycling . When I download it to Garmin Zumo it takes me either fastest route or shortest route but will not follow my custom made route . what am I doing wrong or is the GPS malfunctioning . is there a way of telling GPS that my route is a custom route and it should follow custom route please help as I am normally captain of the group behind me and I look pretty lost sometimes .

Ron

Bikerdad, Jun 10, 2016
  2. Bikerdad

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Depending on what type of 'trip' is created in Basecamp, your GPS will perform in different ways e.g. :-

1) Creating a 'Track' in Basecamp will result in a series of waypoints, (or single point locations), the GPS will plot a straight line from one waypoint to the next one

2) Creating a 'Route' in Basecamp will result in series of waypoints in a similar way to a 'Track', the difference being that the GPS will follow a road, or path to get from one waypoint to the next

'Tracks' are usually used for walking / hiking where there is no roads / paths to follow and should not be used in this case. A 'Route' created by Basecamp can be interpreted by a GPS in one of two ways depending whether the GPS can perform 'Multi-Point Routing' or MPR, basic GPS / Satnavs can't perform MPR so they only use the start and end waypoints of the Route and then calculate a new route using Fastest or Shortest.

GPSs / Satnavs that can perform MPR will follow the exact route as plotted in Basecamp, provided that the map used in Basecamp and the map used on the unit are the same, if the maps are different you may find that certain roads used in Basecamp are not present on the unit and an alternative route will result because the unit will only use roads if they are present

The Garmin link (Click HERE), suggests that the Zumo 390 can accept downloaded routes created in Basecamp, however it doesn't specifically state that it performs Multi-Point Routing, have a look at the instruction in the link above, Units that have 'Trip Planner' in their menus usually will perform MPR

Page 6 of your user manual may have the answer to your problem, try using 'Curvey roads' :-

curvy-roads.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 10, 2016
Ask a Question