Misbehaving Garmin 650, or its operator

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by glenlivet, Sep 3, 2022.

1. glenlivet

glenlivet

Hi and thanks for the membership. I am trying to learn more functions on my old Montana 650 than just the tracking feature I have been using. To start my education I downloaded and installed Basecamp. Don't know what to do with it but it's installed. :)

I'm pretty sure I have an equipment issue though. The gps appears to work properly on just the batteries but the moment I plug in the data cord to my desktop computer, the gps's display immediately turns dark and the Montana logo appears as well as the USB symbol. Here it will stay, locked forever and not obeying the power button until I unplug it and remove and reinstall the batteries. This must be a malfunction, I assume. Any ideas on what I ought to do?
    Thanks

glenlivet, Sep 3, 2022
  2. glenlivet

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your 650 is not malfunctioning, it has been designed to work this way, the USB connector does two things, it supplies power to run / charge the 650 and it also carries data to / from a computer, when external power or a car power adapter is plugged in the 650 will still navigate while taking power from the USB, however if the 650 detects that a computer is connected it goes into data transfer mode, in this mode the 650 takes power but it won't navigate because it knows it is indoors connected to a computer

When a GPS is disconnected from a computer it normally turns off and when the user turns the unit back on it does not detect a computer so it goes into the normal navigate mode

Basecamp notes here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/what-is-basecamp.46544/

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 3, 2022
  3. glenlivet

glenlivet

Hey, thanks for the quick reply and explanation. The only difference I detect is that after it's been hooked to the computer via data cord I have to remove and reinstall the batteries in order for it to respond to the power-on button, .
    I have a long way to go, apparently. :) Thanks again.

glenlivet, Sep 3, 2022
  4. glenlivet

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

That doesn't sound right, at most I would expect the unit to power down when disconnected from the computer with a 'Long press' of the power button required to power it back on

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 4, 2022
Ask a Question