Mobile Software Needed

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Lucas Machias, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Lucas Machias

Lucas Machias

I have a GPSMAP 76 that I used to download data to an old laptop. The laptop is dead so I got this serial to USB adapter to download data to a PC. That worked but now I want to do the same thing on the tablet. The problem is what software can I use on the Samsung Tab E, Android 7.1.1, tablet to accept the data and save it to a file, like a GPX file. From there I can convert the file to a KML file and open it in Google Earth on the tablet. The picture shows the setup. The tablet is not shown because I took the picture with it.

I have looked and looked for this but no mention of it that I can see. There must be some sort of mobile software for this.

Attached Files:

Lucas Machias, Dec 8, 2023
  2. Lucas Machias

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What kind of data have you managed to transfer from the GPSMAP76 to your PC ?, as far as I can see the serial interface on the 76 only transfers live NMEA data, can you transfer GPX files to the PC ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 9, 2023
  3. Lucas Machias

Lucas Machias

The usual waypoints, tracks, etc into mapsource or basecamp. I save it as a gpx or other file there.

Lucas Machias, Dec 9, 2023
  4. Lucas Machias

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The problem is that the micro USB connection to the tablet must be OTG (On The Go) compatible, also you would need a file manager that can file transfer over this OTG link, if you can copy GPX files from the 76 to a PC you can write the files to a microSD card and then place the microSD into the tablet for reading / transfer to the tablet's intetnal memory

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 10, 2023
  5. Lucas Machias

Lucas Machias

The 76 doesn't create files. It needs a program to transfer data to, like mapsource, which can create a file. l need a mobile program to function like mapsource or basecamp. I use otg and data cards in the tablet already.

There must be some generic mobile program that talks to a 76. Even an old one.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Lucas Machias, Dec 10, 2023
  6. Lucas Machias

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The point I was making is that you can use Mapsource to talk to the 76 and create GPX files, then save the GPX files created by Mapsource to the computer's hard drive and then copy the saved GPX files on the computer to a microSD card connected to the computer, then remove the microSD card containing the GPX files from the computer and place it in the tablet where the files can be read and copied to internal tablet memory

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 10, 2023
  7. Lucas Machias

Lucas Machias

Yes I am doing all that already but I want the mobile option. I am frequently a long way from computers.

There must have been mobile software to talk to a 76 at some time.

Lucas Machias, Dec 10, 2023
  8. Lucas Machias

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think it is very unlikely that a software App. for a smartphone or tablet would have been produced to talk to a device that was discontinued years before Apps existed

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 12, 2023
Ask a Question