Modify map?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bermec, Apr 15, 2020.

1. bermec

bermec

My previous satnav (by an alternative maker) had a facility whereby you could add features to the map.
    I have locally to me a public road that runs through an park belonging to a Hall, the satnav diverts around this adding miles to the journey.
    Can I show the map that this is a pukka route?
    Obviously local knowledge and common sense allows me to ignore the route shown but my wife will always go by the book so to speak.
    Garmin 51

bermec, Apr 15, 2020
  2. bermec

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If the Garmin supplied maps have a road labelled as private it is not possible to re-assign it as free to use, so autorouting will not use it, you could try generating a Route in Garmin Basecamp that uses the private road, possibly by selecting a walking / hiking mode rather than driving and download this new Route to your satnav, but it may still be altered if the satnav applies it's driving mode rules

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2020
  3. bermec

bermec

Thanks, I'll give that a try and report back if it works, lockdown permitting... :)

bermec, Apr 25, 2020
  4. bermec

bermec

The 51 threw it out! :)
    Hopefully I have gone to the source of the problem, OSM, and allowed traffic on this public road.
    It may feed through.

bermec, Apr 26, 2020
  5. bermec

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The official Garmin maps are supplied to them by HERE (Navteq), so you would have to alter the permissions on their maps for it to filter down to Garmin, it is possible to install Open Street Maps onto Garmin devices for free from this site :-
    http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
    But 'Garmin' maps are not taken from OSM

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 26, 2020
  6. bermec

bermec

Hi, thanks for replying, a visit to their site shows the road as residential even though it is in the sticks.
    I shall check out the second link which may solve my desire to have just UK maps (smaller upgrades).

bermec, Apr 26, 2020
  7. bermec

bermec

Went to 'Here', it is now corrected and all is well, thanks for the information, now to find a new battery for the 51, I'll have plenty of time to fit it I feel :)

bermec, May 1, 2020
Ask a Question