Montana and Google Maps problem !

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by samytr, Mar 26, 2019.

1. samytr

samytr

Planning to visit approx 45 waterfalls within next 2 weeks. At some points there are nearly 4-5 waterfalls and when I count all it makes nearly 55 waterfalls and together with some interesting points to visit/see total places to visit are 75.

Most of the waterfalls at remote mountainous areas so I need to locate them on GPS to find easier. Paper map has not such details. Tried to print some paper maps, man I am going to have large amount of paper maps

Prepared all waterfalls and POIs on Google Map. Lined them by the preference of visit. After completing this wanted to chech the route it came off all routes are seen straight lines as if drawn by ruler and routes are not followed the roads, flying up ! ? ? c?

Downloaded the route as KML file and converted to gpx route file with the help of a website (gpsies.com). Copied the gpx file to Montana unit (still I can't login on base map-can't solve out). Opened Montana to chech the route I can see the route is shown in good order but 3 waterfalls are not lined/ordered properly (I put all tracks in order following each other as I want to visit).

When I push GO ! Montana says ~ Track can't be watched as route exceeds 50 waypoints/locations ~

If I have 150 locations to visit do I need to prepare 4 different maps to have Montana show the route ?

samytr, Mar 26, 2019
  2. samytr

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are some rules that apply when uising Garmin 'Routes' and 'Tracks' for definitions on these see here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/what-is-a-track-route-waypoint-etc.46550/

Route = waypoints joined by a road, path etc

Track = waypoints joined by straight lines

Where a road or path is not on the map 'Route' will not work so you need to create a 'Track' instead of a 'Route'

Here is the specification for the Montana :-

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Qmuv3rlqmb7CIDul9G7HkA

you will notice this line :-

"When utilizing routes, only 50 points can be used for on road navigation."

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 26, 2019
  3. samytr

samytr

Thanks for your reply.

The places I will travel has roads and all are on the map.

samytr, Mar 26, 2019
  4. samytr

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There is another problem using 'Routes' insead of 'Tracks', the map you draw the route on (eg. in Basecamp), MUST be the same map that is on the Montana, so maybe it would be best to create both, 'Routes' for the roads sections and 'Tracks' for the off-road sections

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 26, 2019
Ask a Question