Multiple navigation providers

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Django, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Django

Django

I'm currently using a Garmin device for my bike navigation. Unfortunately it only support GPS, and from time to time I loose satellites (mountainbiking in the woods).
    I was thinking about buying a smartphone that supports GPS, Galileo, Glonass en Beidou for navigation.
    I have a few questions on this:
    - can all these "providers" be used simultaneously?
    - will it make the accuracy better?

What is your opinion on this? Would it be a good decision?

Thanks in advance

Django, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Django

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, smartphones that can use GPS + other constellations like Galileo, Glonass and Beidou can use them all at the same time, Yes multiple constellations will make better accuracy

You are probably losing satellites in tree areas because the receiver in your GPS is not very sensitive, newer GNSS receivers not only use multiple constellations but are also more sensitive so even with GPS only they are less likely to lose signal due to tree cover

L5-Screen.jpg
    This is a screen from a smartphone using GPS (USA) + GLONASS (Russia) + Galileo (EU) + QZSS (Japan) + Beideo (China)

A newer smartphone will perform better than an older dedicated GPS, but remember it will have disadvantages such as lower battery life and not waterproof

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Django

Django

Hi , thanks for your reply...that looks really interesting :)

Django, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Django

anwat

could you name some of the actual modules that can access these different constellations? I am looking for a tablet that can do this. Many of them say they have "cellular GPS", or that the 4G LTE is equipped with "satellite GPS"...usually this is about a $50 upgrade, and most call it a dual pass module. There are others that have something called a "dedicated 71-point satellite GPS module", which is a $350 option. What's the difference? Once you purchase one of these devices, is there a monthly fee to access the systems, or is that included in the purchase price...it would seem the people operating the system would want money to use it?

anwat, Sep 11, 2021
  5. Django

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The best way to find what GPS functions a unit has is to look it up on a site like GSMARENA, here is part of the spec for a Samsung Tab A7 (2020) :-

2021-09-11_14.34.26.jpg

I have never seen a smartphone or tablet* that has a GPS upgrade options, GPS is built-in, usually part of the SoC (the main chip), so it is always there

All GNSS constellations can be used free of charge, GNSS is a general term for all the satellite systems e.g. GPS (USA), GLONASS (Russia), BDS or Beidou (China), Galilleo (Europe) etc.

EDIT
    * Tablets running Android / ios usually have GPS built-in, however ruggedised computers possibly running Windows etc. may not have GPS built-in

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 11, 2021
Ask a Question