My Drivesmart 51 Is Acting Crazy Since the Update to Software 6.70

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by SambaKMom, May 5, 2024.

1. SambaKMom

SambaKMom

About a week ago I updated my Garmin to Software version 6.70. The GPS used to show upcoming turns and how close I was to the upcoming turn. Now it only shows my speed and some inaccurate milage to my destination. Express says I downloaded all of North America as I made sure I had an SD card that was 32GB. The first time I used it, the road I was on was no longer there, the speed limit was gone and the map no longer showed me traveling on the map and the road looked like a tiny pink line.

My GPS has almost become useless. I took the SD card out and formatted it, because I thought I needed to reinstall the maps or the new update. Now, Express will not even connect to this GPS. When it is trying to locate it, the icon just keeps spinning. I am trying to make sure the battery is full before I try again.

We have 2 other Garmin GPSs that we keep in our other vehicles. I recently updated them, but they only updated to Software version 5.90. I am wondering why they did not update to the same 6.70 version.

Is Garmin now charging for updates? Is that why everything is so goofed up? I am just about at the point of using Google Maps on my phone for directions as my Garmin isn't helpiing me at all. If I did not already know my way home, the Garmin was useless in telling me how to get home. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. I know these units are old, but they have still worked great up to this point.

SambaKMom, May 5, 2024
  2. SambaKMom

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would do a reset of all factory settings, Note you will have to backup any Routes, Tracks, Waypoints etc. as the reset will remove them from your unit

2024-05-07_11.28.41.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 7, 2024
  3. SambaKMom

SambaKMom

I am so excited to tell that I have somehow fixed my Garmin by reinstalling the software. I could not get Garmin Express to connect to my GPS, so I did the format again on the SD card and uninstalled the Garmin Express app. I reinstalled it and all of a sudden, it finally connected and I was able to reinstall the maps. Now it is back to normal. I am so happy now!

SambaKMom, May 8, 2024
Ask a Question