My new RV 1090...could use some advice, please

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Johnny Yuma, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Just bought. I am a computer and electronics dunce. Could not register via GarminExpress and WiFi connection is not working.

Registered it with Garmin via an email. Have not yet driven, but turning on and scrolling around and putting in an address and getting maps.....seems to be working..... inside the house and in the motorhome. Garmin itself does not have a forum for the 1090 that I can see. So...here I am.

Printed out the Owner's Manual and am reading, There is a Location Services icon that is blank. It should be dark with a small white circle in the middle. (Looks like an upside down teardrop) That might be the WiFi connection....not sure. Anyone know ?

Johnny Yuma, Oct 5, 2021
  2. Johnny Yuma

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The user guide says you should be seeing this :-
    2021-10-06_10.39.03.jpg

If you are seeing this icon without the 'dot' in the middle, I would say that either Location Services are not turned on (See page 49 of the user guide) or that the Location Services are turned on but that the unit hasn't got a location from the satellites yet, in which case you need to take it outside where it can get a clear view of the sky, NOTE this is not the Wifi icon (See page 8)

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 6, 2021
  3. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Hi N-N and thank you. Thought I had the correct Location Services dialed in. But...now it is in the RV metal roof shed and maybe it went away. Will put RV out in driveway and see what's what.

Johnny Yuma, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Johnny Yuma

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If the 1090 is inside a vehicle (RV or car), it must be in the window, it can't receive through metal, I would personally take it outside the vehicle as it will only take a minute or two to get a signal when outside

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 6, 2021
Ask a Question