Nüvi 1490 LMT: corrupted software and locked out?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ken_b, May 1, 2022.

1. Ken_b

Ken_b

Express v7.12.1.0, Windows 10. General settings: Express is running in the background and "launch when a Garmin device is detected" is selected. When the device is plugged into my computer, neither Windows nor Express detect it. I've tried installing the device on other computers with the latest Express and a good cable, and the device is not detected. When the GPS is running, it can sometimes reset on its own. Traffic advisories are no longer recieved. I noticed several weeks ago in my Favorites that a line contained Chinese characters. Can malware infect a device? Can a service center reinstall the software?

Ken_b, May 1, 2022
  2. Ken_b

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The file names containing 'Chinese Characters' are probably corrupted, this does not mean the device is infected with malware it just means data has been lost, if you have a microSD card installed in your 1490 I would remove it and see if the 'Chinese Characters' are still visible, this will show you where the corrupted files reside, (corruption of a plug-In flash card is much more common), you could then try to connect to your computer with the flash card removed

If the problem still remains with the flash card removed it would suggest corruption of the main 'internal' memory and you may need to contact a Garmin Service centre

Nuvi-Nebie, May 1, 2022
Ask a Question