nav IV annoyance

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by cbarnes, May 14, 2017.

1. cbarnes

cbarnes

I am playing around with basecamp and my bmw nav IV. Pretty new to the program, but I'm getting it figured out, and enjoying the learning process. However, there is one annoyance that I have not been able to overcome. I build my route in basecamp, then transfer it to my nav IV. All is well, except if I want to look at the route on the gps, I have to disconnect it from the usb port, replace the battery door, and wait for the unit to boot up. basically, the gps won't allow me to use it if it is connected, or if the battery door is not installed. If I want to change or modify the route, this becomes very frustrating and time-consuming.

My question is whether there is any way to bypass this function of the gps. I would like to be able to simply look at the gps screen without the hassle of unplugging, closing battery door, booting up, etc. etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you.

cbarnes, May 14, 2017
  2. cbarnes

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Unlike most units that can be used as a satnav while connected via USB, this unit has been designed to be externally powered via the motorcyle (or car) mount, rather than the USB connector, USB mode is only for file transfer.

The USB connector has two wires for power and two for data, when the data wires are connected, the unit will automatically go into data transfer mode and won't allow satnav mode, units that work in satnav mode when connected via USB, use cables that only connect to the power wires

Nuvi-Nebie, May 15, 2017
  3. cbarnes

cbarnes

Had a feeling that was the case. I was hoping there was a way to get around it, but it doesn't sound like it. I'll just have to live with it, I guess. Thanks for your input!!

cbarnes, May 15, 2017
  4. cbarnes

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You could probably get around one of the problems by using a USB cable that only supplies power (no data wires), but it wouldn't defeat the battery cover detector and you wouldn't be able to send modified routes to to unit either, so there would be no point in doing it

Nuvi-Nebie, May 15, 2017
Ask a Question