Navigating Routes and Tracks

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by thistlebarrow, Mar 15, 2017.

1. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

I have a Garmin ETrex10 satnav.

I have recently recorded a number of walks using waymarks. When I transfer them to the computer I see that there are routes and tracks for each walk.

Could someone please explain what is the difference.

Could you also suggest whether it is better to use a track or a route to navigate the walk at a later date

Finally could you please explain how I "zoom in" so that I can more easily follow the route or track on the satnav

thistlebarrow, Mar 15, 2017
  2. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

A Waypoint is a single position marker that can be generated by a GPS or manually entered into a GPS

A Track is a series of Waypoints (often automatically generated by a GPS), in a Track the space between the Waypoints is joined by a straight line, a Track is not dependant on the GPS having a map installed

A Route is also a series of Waypoints, the difference is that the space between the Waypoints always follows an existing road, path or other map feature, because of this, a Route is dependant on a map being present and if there is no logical map feature to link two waypoints the results are VERY unpredictable

If there is no road / path map feature where you did your walk you must use Track rather than Route

2017-03-15_10.45.47.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 15, 2017
  3. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

4. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

Thanks for your prompt reply

I will use follow the track.

Ask a Question