Need a GPS (old or new) that I can upload custom areas (exclusion zones)

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Dude876, May 12, 2022.

1. Dude876

Dude876

I go 4 wheel driving in areas that border on areas of water catchment for dams, and the fines for going inside these areas are very high. These areas have exact boundaries which I already have in google earth (KML files). I need any Garmin GPS 5-7 inch screen that I can upload these to, so that when I go out in the forest, I don't accidentally go into illegal areas. (not sure what this function is technically referred to)

Currently I have a 12 year old GPS (nüvi 2797LMT) which is great, but I can not seem to upload custom areas or tracks to this GPS through Basecamp etc.

Any absolutely basic GPS would be totally fine, I just need one with this single function. Anyone got any recommendations? I will probably buy a second hand one cheap. Don't need anything fancy.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Dude876, May 12, 2022
  2. Dude876

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This function is called Geo-Fencing, it is usually used to raise an alert when the GPS goes outside a ringed area, but there is no reason that it couldn't do the same when the GPS enters a ringed area, most vehicle satnavs will only allow Routes to be downloaded to them not Tracks, however walking / hiking GPSs will allow Tracks to be downloaded and viewed on screen so that the user can manually see when you are near a prohibited area, if you want the GPS to automatically alert you when you cross a 'line' you would need to look for a GPS or smartphone App. with a Geo-Fencing function

Nuvi-Nebie, May 13, 2022
  3. Dude876

Dude876

Yeah I have a Garmin handheld that will do it, I just want an in car one (bigger screen).... by in car, I just mean stick on the windscreen. I just need to be able to draw a line really, whether it be a track, route or whatever, so that I can see when I'm getting near it. I always have a pretty good idea if I am close to the boundary, but crossing it means I get prosecuted, So yes, I can do it on my handheld, it's just a pain in the ass navigating that little sucker.

Dude876, May 13, 2022
  4. Dude876

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, May 13, 2022
  5. Dude876

Dude876

OK cool, managed to convert all the areas I need to a single route, I can now see this on my GPS when I need to. Thanks guys, saved me buying a new GPS.

Dude876, May 13, 2022
  6. Dude876

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Something to be aware of is that there is a difference between Tracks and Routes (See link Here), let us say a Track has 4 Waypoints in a square with 2 mile sides, the GPS will draw a straight line between the 4 waypoints, however the same 4 points in a Route are not joined by straight lines, instead the GPS will calculate a path along a road or path so you won't get a 4 sided square

Nuvi-Nebie, May 13, 2022
Ask a Question