Need help narrowing down GPS unit make and model...

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Kronos, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Its been a while since I've shopped for a GPS unit. The last one I had was the GPS III Plus. Great little machine, but the screen is becoming pixelated. Looking for a new one or even refurbished, if Garmin, et al, provide them, not trying to break the bank. Anyways, I was looking at the new Montana 7xx series. I like the format of this device, along with the top maps. I dont need a camera or emergency response, or any other things such as that. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to a reliable unit, but nothing that literally makes you breakfast, dont need that. :)

Touch screen would be nice, topo maps, way points, etc. No camera, no texting, no calling... etc. I have devices for that... Please let me know. Thanks!

Kronos, Dec 4, 2022
  2. Kronos

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would start by looking at the spec. of the cheapest unit that supports Topo maps, say the Etrex20/22x and seeing if it does what you want, if you find something you want that these units don't have eg. a bigger screen or a touch screen then you can always move up to other models, virtually every unit ever made is still available on the second hand market but personally I would only look at units that are a few years old as technology has moved on a lot

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 5, 2022
  3. Kronos

Kronos

Thanks. Why the huge jump in cost with the newer models? I see some close to 1000... Like I mentioned, dont need cell phone, or talk, or Emergency beacon location... I will look into those models.

Kronos, Dec 10, 2022
Ask a Question