Need To Buy GPS But Don't Own a Smartphone

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by getslosteasily22, May 31, 2022.

1. getslosteasily22

getslosteasily22

I've been trying to stay away from smartphones. Yet I need a GPS for my car. Do you know of any that does not require a smartphone app for something or another?

I need to be able to have up to date maps, and be able to hear it give me directions. That's pretty much it.

getslosteasily22, May 31, 2022
  2. getslosteasily22

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Stand alone 'SatNavs' (GPS for cars) don't need a smartphone to work, they get information on their location directly from satellites, some Satnavs get additional information eg. traffic congestion etc. from a link with a smartphone but even this info. can be obtained without a smartphone using a SatNav with a radio link that receives this data

Take a look at the Garmin Drive series

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 1, 2022
    edagrade likes this.
  3. getslosteasily22

getslosteasily22

I did a google search for "Garmin Drive Series" and this is what came up for me.
    Is that what you mean by Garmin Drive Series?

getslosteasily22, Jun 2, 2022
  4. getslosteasily22

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No that link is for Drivesmart not Drive, here is a link :- Click Here

Here is link for 'Drive 51LM :- Click Here

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 2, 2022
  5. getslosteasily22

getslosteasily22

About 3 years ago, I started my GPS research. I asked some questions in a forum, read some of the responses and then got busy with other things. Last year I started watching a whole bunch of youtube videos about Garmin GPSes. And got good and confused. Then this year, I realized that I need a GPS because I probably will need to go job hunting soon. Today I watched a whole bunch more videos. And now you responded to my latest comment. So I ended up ordering two different ones. I'm too tired of research.

I decided to order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09D5LYKRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Directions-TripAdvisor-Foursquare/dp/B01MQXKUA1/ref=sr_1_2?crid=8AWNJUU6VWI7&keywords=garmin+driveā„¢+51+lm&qid=1654215069&sprefix=,aps,200&sr=8-2&th=1

getslosteasily22, Jun 3, 2022
  6. getslosteasily22

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The above comment and your comments in another thread suggested to me that you don't want all the extras provided by the Drivesmart series, this is why I recommended the more basic Drive Series, Drive 50, 51, 52 etc. you need to decide what you want

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 3, 2022
  7. getslosteasily22

getslosteasily22

I bought them both. Cost me over 400 dollars, but I find it too hard online to tell what I want. I hate the extra features that Drivesmart has however it does have better screen resolution then the Drive Series. And it's probably more up to date. I'm just guessing, but it seems to me that the Drive Series probably won't be around very many years longer. I say that because tech almost always move along fast.

getslosteasily22, Jun 3, 2022
  8. getslosteasily22

Madeira_Jon

Drivesmart guarantees life-long updates. Just download Garmin Express to PC, and stick the Drivesmart on the USB. It will also update using WiFi.

Madeira_Jon, Jun 4, 2022
Ask a Question