New 64 ST my.garmin download and basecamp

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by yellowdragon, Nov 4, 2015.

1. yellowdragon

yellowdragon

I was on the phone most of the day with garmin technical support. They have great technicians. I talked to one of the guys about maps. I bought an extra set of maps (High1:24,000 scale) about $129 for the western region, I bought the download version.

You have to download the my.garmin.com . I spent all day trying to make this work, then I called support and spent another 2 hours on the phone with them. The download took a couple hours to get to %50, this it froze. I used every browser known to man. I tried every trick offered bu support. Nothing worked. It seems to me like this download process of theirs is to ensure people don't share maps. They don't have to worry about me sharing maps, I can't even load them.

I had to get a refund.

Basecamp doesn't work on my dell laptop in 3d. it works in 2d fine, but no 3d. Another technician spent a great deal of time remoted into my computer trying to make it work without success.

It looks to me like the software products with garmin are really dis-jointed.
    Here's a screen print of all the products I have installed.I wasted a whole day trying to get maps from garmin installed on a garmin without success. I've been able to download some other maps from other vendors no problem. Is anybody familiar with details maps for california that I can download? I'm betting there is some free stuff that will work better than garmins product for $129. I do like the 64 ST, it's a great product.

garmin.png

yellowdragon, Nov 4, 2015
  2. yellowdragon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

For free alternatives to Garmin maps, take a look at the Open Street Maps of the California area (Click HERE), these maps are downloadable for free, See the link (HERE), for files that can be installed into Basecamp and then sent to your Garmin GPSmap64ST. The file you need to download after selecting :- North America >> United States >> California >> Download map Now is :
    -
    osm_generic_windows.exe . . 234M . . . Map installer for BaseCamp / MapSource on the Windows platform.

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 4, 2015
Ask a Question