New Overlander - doesn't display waypoint names - BC35 camera discontinued

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Gadg, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Gadg

Gadg

Hi all.
    In the process of re-doing my dash - built in nav unit with reversing camera plays up and the old Garmin on the dash is getting a bit hard to read.
    So just purchased an Overlander online as this was the only way to get one - no local stock unfortunately.
    Next day went to purchase the recommended BC35 camera and the online store I bought the unit from had the BC35 as discontinued. Did a search and other stores I found were also showing as discontinued.
    I thought - this can't be right - out of stock maybe.
    So contacted Garmin and sure enough the recommended - no sorry - the only camera this unit supports has been discontinued, even though it's still advertised on their website as the reversing camera to use with the Overlander. Bugger!
    When the unit arrived, had a bit of a "get to know you" session with it.
    I keyed in a few waypoints along with their names, but when I tried to view them on the map, it would show the icon only, no names came up.
    Called Garmin again to find out if I needed to change a setting and was advised that waypoint names aren't shown on the map for the Overlander -- What !!
    I asked if there was a software update planned to allow names to be shown and short answer is no.
    Not the news I wanted to hear as when I go 4wding I tend to use waypoints to mark the start/end of certain tracks and locations.- especially in the dunes.
    Makes it easy if you can see the waypoint names when going off-road rather than just an icon

Would have been nice to know about the discontinued camera on the website and also have a footnote in the specs that "Waypoint names are not displayed on map" before I bought it.
    Would have gone for one of the Tread instead.

Not that I don't believe Customer Service - but does anyone know if there is a way to show waypoint names or am I blowing in the wind.
    Also if someone knows a workaround for the camera, could you please let me know.

Had Garmin products for years now and it's the 1st unit I sort of regret buying.

Cheers

Gadg, Jan 25, 2023
  2. Gadg

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like Waypoint names are being phased out, here is a similar post :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/nuvi-vs-drivesmart-favorites-display.47749/#post-230819

Garmin is still listing the BC35 as available :-
    https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/602887

Also at Amazon (UK) :-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-01991-00-Wireless-Backup-Camera/dp/B07C8Y1P97

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 25, 2023
  3. Gadg

Gadg

Hope not - Bad for those who use for offroad.
    Thanks for the BC35 links. At least UK still have some, Australia appears to be out of stock.

Gadg, Jan 25, 2023
  4. Gadg

Gadg

Just an update
    Managed to get access to purchasing a BC35 locally after numerous phone calls to find stock which is great even though it's discontinued.
    Have spoken to a supervisor in Customer Support with regard to the waypoint names and unfortunately the unit won't show them and there are no plans to do an update to do so.
    The person I spoke to (although not getting the answers I would have liked), was extremely helpful and patient.
    I have a suspicion that the Birdseye imagery subscription may allow for waypoint names - unfortunately Birdseye subscriptions have also been discontinued since Nov 2022.
    So now ringing around to hopefully find one in my region. It would only last a year but that's fine for me.
    I have been offered a refund which is very generous of Garmin, but I'm hoping Birdseye does show waypoint names and I'm able to get a subscription, cause I do like the Overlander and it will fit nicely in the 4wd where I want to put it.

Gadg, Feb 6, 2023
Ask a Question