New to Garmin Montana 650

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Jayflight, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Jayflight

Jayflight

Good afternoon fellow members.

I am a newbie to GPS. I bought a Garmin Montana 650 for 4 wheeling and hiking in the Catskill mountains in New York. I would also like to experiment with the GPS to confirm my property boundaries. I should receive the unit tomorrow. My question is: will I be able to navigate with this unit out of the box? I did not purchase and maps with the unit.

:)
    Thank you in advance
    Jayflight

Jayflight, Apr 20, 2015
  2. Jayflight

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin GPSs that can display maps are usually supplied with a 'Base Map' usually of the whole world, however, they won't go down to street level, so your problem will probably be lack of detail, you will be able to see a track of where you have been, but the track may have little or no background map. On most Garmin GPSs alternative non Garmin maps can be installed (some of which are free), Open Street Maps can be downloaded to Garmin Basecamp and then installed onto a Garmin GPS, maps can be downloaded from HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 22, 2015
Ask a Question