New to GPS - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Old Lady, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Old Lady

Old Lady

Having never owned a GPS before, I am shopping blind. A friend told me that Garmin is the best. There were so many models at the store, my brain started to hurt. I had no idea what to choose. I basically went by my budget and bought a Garmin 265W/WT for a hundred bucks.

Then I find this forum. A little late, but I haven't opened the box yet so if you all tell me I bought junk, then I can still return it.

Basically, I need some advice as to whether or not this is a good model for a first-timer. I know very little about them and what makes one better than the other. The features that I know I want are things like...
    I want it to tell me street names to turn on, not just "turn right in 100 ft". I want it to show street names so that we can see them as we go along. I'd like it to be accurate. (I was riding with someone once that was using one - about 4 yrs ago - and it took us to a completely wrong location... made me very against GPS's)

Not sure what else I need.

Oh, and what's this I hear about ads showing up on them now? Can those be turned off? I think the one I bought will show ads and I don't particularly like that.

So any and all comments/advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Old Lady, Apr 13, 2011
Ask a Question