Newbie. Garmin Oregon 650t, data is way off..

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Tina, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Tina

Tina

I'm completely new to GPS devices will be taking a class at REI soon but wanted to get some help/info/advice here since I have a hike coming up in a couple days (before my class).

I did a hike recently and it's supposed to be an 11.6 mile hike with 4,200 ft of elevation gain (according to most online trail websites). My Garmin recorded my hike saying it was only 9 miles, with a 7,000ft elevation gain and a 13,000 ft. descent. The mountain we hiked up was only 8,800 ft... so the math is WAY off on my Garmin.

What made the data record so off? I have no idea what the proper settings should be for my Garmin hikes. Do trees really mess up with data recordings? Is it something in my settings? I basically took it out of the box and started tracking. If I could get some setting advice I'd GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Tina, Jun 13, 2016
  2. Tina

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would examine the Track stored in your 650t using a program like Garmin Basecamp, you may find there are gaps where the unit has lost satellite contact making your total distance less than it really was

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 13, 2016
    Tina likes this.
  3. Tina

Tina

Got it thank you!!!

Tina, Jun 13, 2016
Ask a Question