Newbie needs advice on good sub meter GPS unit

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by CrazyCruzan, Aug 17, 2023.

1. CrazyCruzan

CrazyCruzan

Hello,

I am bidding on wetlands delineation job that's located in south Mississippi. I need to use GPS to collect about 50-70 data points across 40 acres of land. The area is an open field that is absolutely flat. There aren't any trees within a 100 feet of the study area.

For the GPS data points I need sub meter accuracy on horizontal values. Would prefer same for the vertical but that's not imperative. I have used hand held GPS units over the years but have never used anything more sophisticated like these other higher accuracy units - hence the reason I'm here.

All I need is something to give me a GPX file so I can load in to the GIS software, in sub meter resolution (preferably one foot?)

Ideally, I just want to rent something. I have a ballpark number of $250 per day to rent something but if needed I could go up some on the $ if there's something worth the extra cost.

I am fairly tech savvy (but obviously not in this area) and am pretty confident I could pick up and run something more sophisticated (provided I get to read the documention beforehand).

So... what kind of unit would you recommend?

What type of search terms would you suggest I put into Google or YouTube to get a better idea of what I need?

I know there's probably some things that I have left out so please let me know if you need more info in order to help answer my question.

TIA!

CrazyCruzan, Aug 17, 2023
  2. CrazyCruzan

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to serch on Surveying GPS, some setups have a single unit, while others have base station and a roving unit that work together

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2023
    CrazyCruzan likes this.
  3. CrazyCruzan

CrazyCruzan

Thanks @Nuvi-Nebie ! I have done some searching but it's pretty overwhelming to be honest. What type is the best for getting within 1-meter precision? That would be an acceptable amount of precision for our purposes.

CrazyCruzan, Sep 12, 2023
Ask a Question