newbie needs help with ibycus and etrex 30x

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by nauhac, Jan 26, 2017.

1. nauhac

nauhac

Hi! I purchased an etrex 30x for my Dad for Christmas. He wanted free maps. I've managed to get as far as dloading ibycus topo Canada 4.0 and being able to view contours on both base camp and mapsource. I've sent the maps to the device via Mapsource, waited 5 hours but I still can't seem to view them on the device. I've tried disabling any installed maps except for the OSM one (thinking this is where ibycus is stored) but no luck seeing contours on the device. There is no listing for ibycus when selecting maps on the device. I even reformatted to FAT32 as some suggested and reinstalled but still no luck. Needless to say, I'm beyond frustrated and my dad is extremely disappointed in his gift = ( Can anyone help me out?

nauhac, Jan 26, 2017
  2. nauhac

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OSM stands for Open Street Maps, this is another free alternative to the Garmin maps, as far as I can see, Ibycus maps are not based on OSM maps, have you or your dad installed the OSM maps?

When you connect the Etrex 30x to the computer running Basecamp, the program will display all maps installed on the GPS, so you should see OSM, any Garmin supplied maps and the Ibycus ones

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 26, 2017
  3. nauhac

nauhac

yes I also had installed the OSM maps but they don't seem to have any detail. everything looks great on the PC, and it said copying to the card but I can never see anything with detail from the GPS itself. I think I'll try manually copying into the Garmin folder on the card and see if that works any better.... I keep telling my dad to just use his phone but where he goes there's a lack of service = (

nauhac, Jan 26, 2017
  4. nauhac

nauhac

to be clear, I can see the ibycus maps listed in basecamp and in mapsource but not on the etrex itself

nauhac, Jan 26, 2017
  5. nauhac

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The reason for this is that OSM maps have many layers, when viewed 'live' it is possible to see all layers, but when they are converted to a downloadable file the extraction program is instructed to leave out some layers to make the file size smaller, it is possible to 'render' your own file where you decide what layers / objects are included.

You can see different rendered features on OSM maps for OSMAnd, MapsMe etc. but these versions are not compatible with Garmin GPSs, the main OSM source for Garmin is :-
    http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
    although there are others, however they tend to consentrate on certain themes such as main roads, cycling routes etc.

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 27, 2017
Ask a Question