Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Smorton, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Smorton

Smorton

I recently bought a used Garmin Oregon 750 to use with photography. I know I am just at the start of an educational process but I am hoping to save some time.

There are a number of activies on the 750, eg, "Hike", "Climb" etc.

My planned use is to gather gps coordinates while using a digital camera. For example, if traveling, I would start in the morning and I would probably travel by car, walking, subways and perhaps even trains.

I am uncertain what activity I would use as it does not appear that "hike" fits exactly, as I would be using a hybrid of transportation and activities. It is important for me to turn on the Garmin usit in the morning and then largely forget about it.

I have several photo management programs that use gpxfiles. I assume I can learn to upload these quickily but I have been using a desktop model of Adobe Lightroom which no longer supports a maps module (it does on subscription based models which I am not interested in).

So, basically two questions. 1. In the morning, would I set the Garmin to Hike or some other activity or something entirely different to get a gpx file that will track where I have been? Second, once I have no. 1 accomplished, is there simple software that is recommended to upload my gpx file to that will help syncronize the photos with the gpx track? One that might have a time adjustment feature?

Thank you very much.

SM

Smorton, Dec 19, 2018
  2. Smorton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

1) I would select Hike, however each activity such as 'Hike' or 'Climb' has an option to 'Record an Activity', so you need to turn this option on by selecting 'Start', this will place a file in the 'Activity History' area so that you can view it and copy it to your computer.

2) There are quite a few free geotagging programs that will do the job for you, try searching for 'geotagging photos', I have used geotag.sourceforge.net in the past, the time in your gps file will be accurate, however the time on your camera may not be, so it's a good idea to take a photo of your GPS's screen showing the time, you can then compare the time stamp on the photo with the GPS's and note the difference, this difference or 'offset' can be entered into the geotagging program to synchronize the images

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Smorton

Smorton

Thank you very much.

Is there much of an advantage over a Garmin Oregon 750 vs. Iphone app. for geotagging photos?

SM

Smorton, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Smorton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You obviously have the quality of the picture taken by the 750 and the Iphone to compare, I would guess the Iphone is better for that, as far as the accuracy of the location goes, the 750 is probably better, I have read that early Iphones deliberately built in error when recording location, to prevent owners being tracked to their house, I don't have an Iphone so I can't confirm that

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 21, 2018
  5. Smorton

Smorton

I am sorry, but I didn't make myself clear. I would be using a somewhat high end DSLR or Mirrorless camera and I am wondering if the Garmin Oregon 750 or Iphone gps would be more accurate.

Thank you.

Smorton, Dec 30, 2018
  6. Smorton

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your post #5, has made things less clear for me, if the DSLR /mirrorless camera you intend to use has built-in GPS, then you do not need to use the Oregon 750, an Iphone or geotagging software in order to have geo-tagged photographs, the camera will do this on it's own and there would be no point in asking the questions in your post #1

If the DSLR / mirrorless camera does not have built-in GPS, then there is nothing to compare, you would be relying on the GPS accuracy of the Oregon 750 or the Iphone (already answered in post #4)

If the question in your post #5 is which device had the more accurate GPS location:-
    1) Oregon 750 (post #1)
    2) Iphone (post #3)
    3) a DSLR / mirrorless camera with built-in GPS (post #5)

I would say it there will be not much to choose between them, and if you have 3), then you don't need anything else

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 31, 2018
Ask a Question