Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by thistlebarrow, Mar 4, 2017.

1. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

I live in Spain and have walked, and led walks, in the local mountains for ten years. There are no good maps available and like most local walkers I follow tracks from memory. Recently I bought a Garmin Etrex 10 to record these walks. I record waymarks during the walk and when I get home create routes and tracks using BaseCamp and MapSource. So far I have recorded about ten.

I have experienced some difficulty using the Etrex 10. I am not sure whether it is my fault, or whether the satnav is faulty. So advice would be appreciated.

I find when I use the toggle it is not very responsive. It often "freezes" and nothing happens. Perhaps I am using it too fast?

This happens quite a lot when I am trying to create a waymark. In fact I now always check on the waypoint manager page and find that I have either not created a waypoint at all, or I have created two in the same location.

I find the GPS and Battery indicator particularly difficult.

On one walk the GPS indicator did not show anything at all. Despite this I was able to record waymarks. But does this mean that they will be incorrect?

The battery indicator is even worse. I does not show any indication that there is any life in the battery. This happened even when I replaced them with new batteries. Obviously they were working, because I could record waymarks.

So far I have recorded routes and tracks, but have not put it to the test by trying to follow one. I intend to do so next week for the first time. Because I do not have any detailed maps loaded I will have to follow the route using the compass. Could someone please list the steps I need to follow to do so.

thistlebarrow, Mar 4, 2017
  2. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The unit does sound faulty as it should not freeze up. The battery indicator may need you to select the correct battery type I.e.

2017-03-05_11.56.50.jpg
    You can load Open Street Maps of an area for your tracks to be displayed on, Track are automatically generated, so you don't need to create individual Waypoints to mark your walk

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 5, 2017
  3. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

Thanks for your reply.

I have selected the correct battery type and is works ok now.

I will check out the Open Street Maps

thistlebarrow, Mar 5, 2017
Ask a Question