Not Happy With Update!

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by oxojohn, Jul 28, 2017.

1. oxojohn

oxojohn

Hello there, I recently purchased a car with the Garmin Sat Nav built into the dash, I have just done my first update through the website, and it's taken away the option of choosing one of three different routes, which showed on the map as yellow blue and red showing all the three different routes together on the map which made it easy to compare, giving you the option to click on which route you prefer, now that option has gone and I now only have either the shortest route or the quickest route, or less fuel, but you can't see the routes together to compare which is the best, is there any way I could get the old settings back again, to me this upgrade is a downgrade.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Device Information.
    Name NTG5STAR1
    Map (V6.0) Europe.
    Software Version. 17/13.0 50.12

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    oxojohn, Jul 28, 2017
  2. oxojohn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not familiar with the NTG5STAR1, but there are a few things that apply to most Garmin products, they are all a bit fiddly and won't give you your 'compare' option.
    1) Avoid options, you can tailor your route by avoiding/accepting unpaved roads, motorways etc., you can either select roads (or somtimes draw a square on the map) and avoid the items selected

2) Add Vias, having selected a start and end point to create a trip, you can view the route on the map and then create one or more Waypounts (Favourites) on the map and edit these new Waypoints in between the start and end points, this creates a new route that goes 'Via' the new points

As I said, thid is all a bit messy and not very convenient, you can also generate your own route using the Garmin Basecamp computer program and download the route to your satnav if you have the time

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 28, 2017
    oxojohn likes this.
  3. oxojohn

oxojohn

Hello, Nuvi-Nabie, many thanks for taking the time to reply, as you say it's all a bit messy and it's a backwards move in the wrong direction in the programming, making it less user-friendly and time consuming exercise!
    It looks like I shall have to bite the bullet on this one, but I will certainly try all your suggestions that you were kind enough to post, many thank again.
    Regards.

oxojohn, Jul 29, 2017
  4. oxojohn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Hi Oxojohn, I have just realised that I have missed out a feature that may give you some of what you want (not sure if the NTG5STAR1 has this) , I don't think it displays alternative routes but it will create them, having selected a destination and 'Go!', you can select the three horizontal lines icon (Bottom Right) and then select 'Change Route', I had forgotten all about this option
    Edit
    It looks like the software on this unit is different to the standard Garmin units, I don't think the icon I was referring to is present, it would be here :-
    2017-07-29_18.14.45.jpg

Like this :-

2017-07-29_18.23.23.jpg

If your unit is a Map Pilot (for Mercedes), you can find the detour option here :-

2017-07-29_18.54.11.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 29, 2017
    oxojohn likes this.
  5. oxojohn

oxojohn

Hello again, Nuvi-Nebie, yes you are right there are no horizontal lines on the model I have, and after seeing your kind update that you posted, later. I can confirm it is the Mercedes Map Pilot ( which I had to ask the garage for confirmation) lol. but I thought it was an ordinary Garmin sat nav program, but should have realised that it was different when I phoned the garage to ask how to update it, they gave me a Mercedes website to download from!
    It was a new car a few months ago when I purchased it, and no information was supplied regarding instructions etc to the sat nav, I was only supplied the memory card that is plugged into the dashboard, in fact, I had to make 3 phone calls to find someone to speak to who was able to tell me how to update it.
    I have printed off the instructions in your post to try.
    Many thanks again Nuvi-Nebie, I will get back to you later to tell you how I got on.

Regards.

John.

oxojohn, Jul 30, 2017
  6. oxojohn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 30, 2017
    oxojohn likes this.
  7. oxojohn

oxojohn

Well I don't know what to say, Nuvi-Nebie, I have looked on the web for information on the Garvin model number that I posted, and found loads of information relating to Garvin but nothing for the model that is fitted to my car, and you have come up with the "Manual" obviously I am going to print this off and study it, also keep a copy in the car for reference on the move.
    My sincere thanks for all your help and time in sorting out this problem for me, Nuvi-Nebie,

Regards.

John.

oxojohn, Jul 30, 2017
  8. oxojohn

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I was a bit surprised that you was not suppied with any documentation regarding the Satnav

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 31, 2017
    oxojohn likes this.
  9. oxojohn

oxojohn

I'm not, I find that all Mercedes sales people are very nonchalant and have a couldn't care less attitude, I am convinced that is part of their training giving the impression of take it or leave it!
    I have been going through the manual after downloading it, thanks to you, one of the things I am very pleased with at the moment, is the facility to just click anywhere on the map without opening any settings, then press go and it works the route out immediately, which I find ideal, another, is the amazing voice operated facility,. which I must admit does not get it right every time, but I put that down to my accent.

Many thanks again.

John.

oxojohn, Jul 31, 2017
Ask a Question