Nuvi 2595LMT

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Bucko, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Bucko

Bucko

Resurrecting a freebie Nuvi 2595LMT GPSr. Everything seems to work. I updated the firmware and maps to the latest version - all good. Only weirdness is it doesn't connect in USB mas storage mode. It connects fine to windows (8.1) and I can see it as a device - not as a mounted drive, but can drill down and see files and folders on both main memory and the SD card using Windows Explorer. I'd like to have Javawa Device manager to install some open source topo maps, but Javawa doesn't 'see' the GPS. Is there a trick to get it into mas storage device mode?

The T in LMT indicates it has 'live traffic' capability and the 'about device' shows it has a traffic receiver, Do I need an 'accessory cable'? I have a traffic cable somewhere but I don't know if it's the right one for this model. Anyone know if there's a particular cable model required or will any traffic cable work?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Bucko, Sep 22, 2023
  2. Bucko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

To access the Mass Storage settings goto :- Volume >> hold top right of screen for 5 seconds >> Configuration & Settings >> MTP Settings >> select Mass Storage >> Save

There are a few different ways a satnav can obtain Traffic info., some units have a radio (FM, RDS, DAB) built into the unit, others have this receiver built into the USB power cable that connects to a vehicle's 12 Volt power outlet and others connect via Bluetooth to a cellphone which is in turn connected to the internet

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-01002-01&tab=topics&topicTag=region_traffic

In the case of the 2595, it can use the receiver in the supplied USB power cable and also via Bluetooth, although I think only the USB receiver is covered in the LMT, the USB traffic cable for the Nuvi 2595 is listed as the GTM 36, NOTE the GMT 36 is country specific, eg. a European model won't work in Northern America

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 22, 2023
  3. Bucko

Bucko

I had tried that but it opens up a 'Diagnostics page' and none of the options include anything to do with USB.

Sadly, the cable I have is a GTM25 which I don't think will work. The traffic via Bluetooth appears to be working, although I haven't actually tested it.

I did manage to get maps on the SD card by simply copying them over using Windows Explorer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Bucko, Sep 22, 2023
  4. Bucko

Bucko

So, Basecamp actually connects to the device so I guess it is in Mass storage mode. Weird that Javawa Device manager doesn't see it - I suspect it has something to do with the way Windows is displaying it as a 'device', rather than as a mounted drive (even though the Windows behaviour appears to be the same).

Bucko, Sep 22, 2023
Ask a Question