Nuvi 2597 JCV File Confusion

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by larral, Mar 22, 2020.

1. larral

larral

In my Nuvi 2597, I have USA Maps City Navigator North America NT 2021.1 installed as default (I get the free updates) and I have recently downloaded and installed City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.2 - so both are in he unit memory, not via SD card.

When I view my folders and files, I have the following?
    From Root Menu:
    Folder - Garmin - Folder JVC (not JCV) - Contains D616504A and D621204A
    Folder - JVC (not JCV) - Contains D616504A and D621204A
    Folder - MAP - Folder JVC (not JCV) - Contains D616504A and D621204A and City Navigator NTU 2020.20 Image

Within the Europe Maps package that were downloaded, I have the following JCV Files:
    D2505280A.jcv and D3084250A.jcv (one is full and one is smaller and I have plenty of space available)

Questions:
    1. Are the folder names on my unit wrong and would that stop the JCV files being accessed?
    2. Are these JCF files being used by the built-in USA maps?
    3. What folder(s) do I need to copy the new JCV files into and should I rename the folders and delete the unnecessary folders?
    4. What is the difference between the "NT" and the "NTU" maps?
    5. Any other advice or recommendations welcome

Thank you

larral, Mar 22, 2020
  2. larral

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would expect to find the Junction View *.JCV files in .System/JCV/ folder, the .System folder may be hidden from view on your computer but it will still be there. Have you owned the 2597 from new?, if so, did you create the JVC folders?

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 22, 2020
  3. larral

larral

Thanks for the reply

I have owned from new (purchased in USA) where I activated the USA maps. I installed the 2018 uk maps literally on 2018.

So installing via basecamp will update the JVC dikes in the location that you mention? I’m just a little worried about messing up the USA maps and junction views

How do I access the hidden files ?

Thanks again

larral, Mar 22, 2020
  4. larral

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Hidden Files is an option in Microsoft Windows, you can either do a search on 'Hidden Files' or find the option at the top of the file viewer screen e.g. :-

hidden.jpg hidden2.jpg

BTW
    There really isn't much of a difference between NT and NTU, Garmin use NT to mean New Technology which is just the way they store the maps, the U stands for Unicode which describes the way the text on the maps is encoded, 'U' maps tend to be in more languages than the non 'U' maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 22, 2020
  5. larral

larral

Thanks

All done but this is all that I see - very strange as your views show what I should be seeing

Attached Files:

larral, Mar 22, 2020
  6. larral

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You also need to un-check Hide Protected Operating System Files (in snip2), I have two folders Garmin Nuvi (F) and Garmin (G) plus a third folder for the microSD card, so you should have at least 2, after un-checking in windows you may need to turn the computer off and back on to complete the changes

Also you may need an Administrator logon to your computer to see "System" files

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 22, 2020
  7. larral

larral

Maybe I am seeing the correct files and folders - selected the correct settings, I see the structure as per the attached

The JCV files that I mentioned in my initial post are dated 2018 so it is these that my system is most likely using via the JVC folder (having previously had the 2018 maps installed

I now know that I need the following .jcv files - D6165110A.JCV (All North) and D6212110A.JCV (All South)
    Please can anyone give me a link or advice as to where I can get these having searched without success?

Thanks

Attached Files:

larral, Mar 23, 2020
  8. larral

larral

I just sorted it out after searching for more details - the system was set to "Media Transfer Protocol" - or MTP, it should be set to "Mass Storage" - I changed that and I can now see the System files:)

Within n the System area, I see the JCV folder and the latest jcv file (D3191320) for the USA maps (dated as per the last free update that I did.

Once I get the latest UK JVCs for City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.2, I am still unsure which folder to update but clearly this will be one of the prior mentioned files - either within Garmin or Maps and do I need the folder name to be JCV as it is currently JVC?

If anyone can assist me and indeed advise where I can obtain the following, it will be greatly appreciated:

Required JCVs are D6165110A.JCV (All North) and D6212110A.JCV (All South)

Thanks

larral, Mar 23, 2020
  9. larral

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You should be placing any new *.JCV files in .System/JCV/ folder, There is a newer City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.3 available and the Junction View files that accompany it are :- D6136110A.jcv and D6166110A.jcv, if you downloaded 2020.2 to a computer I don't think it copies the *.JCV files but if you download directly to the satnav these files should be automatically placed in the .System/JCV/ folder

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 23, 2020
  10. larral

larral

Thank you

That's great and very clear - once I get the correct JCVs, I will load them into the system folder along with the latest USA file that is already there (assuming that that's ok to do for a second map)

I would prefer to not re-install 2020.3 (I don't actually have it) so if I can get the JVCs that I mentioned, that would be preferable (D6165110A.JCV (All North) and D6212110A)

Thanks again

larral, Mar 23, 2020
  11. larral

larral

Hi again

Very very last question

I now have the 2020.3 maps and installed via my PC

I have the accompanying JCVs - D6164110A (large) and D6166110A (small) - these are both "Raster" format. I also have the PhotoReal file D6165110A.

Two final questions:

1. If I add these to the current system JCV folder (not the JVC Folder in GARMIN) that has my latest USA JCV already in it, will everything work ok?
    2. I guess that I should use the Raster files as this Nuvi isn't high resolution - or will the PhotoReal still work?

Well, I actually asked 3 questions but should be ok !!

Thanks again

larral, Mar 23, 2020
  12. larral

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As long as the files have different names you can place all of them in the .System/JCV/ folder together, the satnav will use what it wants by matching the names, so (obviously) don't re-name any of the files

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 23, 2020
Ask a Question