Nuvi 3590LM is still on summertime

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by larsras, Nov 11, 2019.

1. larsras

larsras

Hi

Just observed this. Tried a reset, but didn't help.
    My other Garmins: Zumo 220 and 390 have both changed.

Any ideas?

br Lars

larsras, Nov 11, 2019
  2. larsras

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Has the 3590 had a satellite 'fix' recently?, time / date is usually automatically set from satellite data, Is the Time / Date correct apart from the summertime offset?

Some handhelp Garmin GPSs have Setup - Time - Daylight Saving Time option, however on my Nuvi 56 the closest menu I can find is Settings - Units & Time - Current Time (Set The Device Clock) - Automatic.

17231.png

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 11, 2019
  3. larsras

larsras

Yes I has a sat fix.
    Another issue discovered: it does not automatically change between night and day lighting. And yes, it is in auto, and bot night and day settings switches to there respective display.

larsras, Nov 13, 2019
  4. larsras

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Is the Time / Date correct apart from the summertime offset?

Time is displayed in the top bar of the main screen

For Date goto :- Apps >> Where I've Been

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 13, 2019
  5. larsras

larsras

Yes, time is correct except from the 1hr diff.
    I just did a reset again before I wrote previous reply, so not sure the date is correct as I haven't been anywhere since, but it shows 29-03-2000.
    Have now tried to do to walking navigation, but date never changes.

larsras, Nov 13, 2019
  6. larsras

zuvicon

You have the "GPS Rollover Week Number" issue. Garmin fixed most units, but they didn't fix all of them. If your unit is already updated with the latest software, thru WEBUPDATER or GARMIN EXPRESS, I would guess your GPS model is one affected. Search, "Garmin GPS Week Number Rollover Statement" for more info.

zuvicon, Nov 13, 2019
  7. larsras

larsras

That was also what I had in mind, but I still think it is strange that it has worked perfectly until 27/10-19 when we changed back to normal time.

larsras, Nov 13, 2019
  8. larsras

zuvicon

The lastest affected date for this issue was April 2019. We were on daylight saving, so the time may have been correct, but the date could have been off by 19.7 years. On my affected unit, nuvi 1100, I didn't notice the issue until the recent time change because I never looked at the date. I thought it had a time change issue, but later found date off by 19.7 years thru TOOLS-WORLD CLOCK on unit.

zuvicon, Nov 13, 2019
  9. larsras

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 13, 2019
  10. larsras

dannytco

I have the same problem with my 3590. I called garmin but they were clueless other than the usual resets which of course did not fix the issue.

dannytco, Nov 22, 2019
  11. larsras

dannytco

There is a new firmware update from Garmin that now fixes the issue - v8.5

dannytco, Jan 10, 2020
  12. larsras

larsras

Thanks for notifying, but bought a TomTom recently instead.

larsras, Jan 10, 2020
  13. larsras

wildgoose

Just want to confirm that v8.50 indeed fixed the GPS week rollover issue on my 3590.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I am happy that Garmin decided to fix the GPS week rollover issue on the 3590 after all.

It is actually a bit of a safety issue. Due to the wrong date, the display can change to day or night mode at the wrong time. This can be frustrating to downright dangerous. When it goes to night mode during the day, you can’t see the display. When it changes to day mode at night, the glaring display is a huge driving distraction and I have to stop the car to fiddle with the setting (day/night mode also comes with its accompanying brightness level).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    wildgoose, Jan 31, 2020
  14. larsras

wildgoose

Also wanted to say, Garmin Express update seems quite flaky. Anything out of the ‘normal’ workflow path feels not well tested at all.

When I first connected the 3590 today, it reported I have 7 updates. Firmware, plus a bunch of other stuff. I didn’t want to do the update immediately, since I want to capture a screenshot of the world clock and device info page for records. So I disconnected the GPS and got the screenshots. I also updated the Garmin Express app in the process, as it said there was an update.

When I connect GPS again, it says I only have one update, just the firmware. Great, where did the other 6 update go?

A while ago, I wanted to update the map right before a trip. It reported a bunch of updates, including a new firmware. I unselected everything, with only map selected, as I didn’t want to deal with the fall outs of a firmware update before the trip, in case it messed something up and I didn’t want to deal with it on the trip.

After the map update however, the new firmware no longer shows up!! The device says firmware is up to date. I was highly suspicious, since I clearly unselected firmware during the update process. Did it really update the firmware? Or did it wrote some bad metadata that now the Garmin Express thinks it already have the new firmware? (if so, that's some seriously crappy engineering). Unfortunately that was like the last firmware Garmin ever published for the 3590, so I never got another firmware update notification, and Garmin no longer publish firmware information so I couldn’t confirm whether I indeed have the latest firmware.

When Garmin use to publish firmware separately, at least I can reinstall a firmware. Not possible now with Garmin Express.

Afterwards, I simply leave all the checkboxes at default when I do update. Good thing this v8.50 update made it through. It says 70+ mb, and when the device boot up it stayed at boot page with “loading software” or something like that for a few minutes, something which I don’t think happened with the map only update that changed firmware version I did back then.

TLDR: just leave all the update checkbox at default, or you will never be able to install some updates.

wildgoose, Jan 31, 2020
Ask a Question