nuvi 3790 battery replacement

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Nuvi 3790 user, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Nuvi 3790 user

Nuvi 3790 user

About 4 years ago, I bought a nuvi 3790LMT gps from Costco Canada. It was expensive ($360) but I liked its solid construction, the ease of mounting and un-mounting from the vehicle window, and its high resolution glass screen. In the winter of 2015, it would not turn on, no matter how long I charged it. I took it to The Source, who sent off to an official repair shop in Canada and I had to pay $200 up front. The repair shop decided not to repair it, and sent me a repaired replacement, which turned out to be a 3790LT (no lifetime map updates).

This replacement GPS started exhibiting battery problems after about 4 months later (which was the warranty period for the replacement unit). I can "charge" it overnight at home, but it now the battery charge indicator is always RED when not connected, the minimum indication before it dies.

My question is, has anyone been able to buy and install a NEW replacement battery. I have opened the unit, and its battery was made May 18, 2011. It is about 2 3/8" x 1 3/4" and 1/8" thick., and is identified as GARMIN 361-00046-00.

Mike

Nuvi 3790 user, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Nuvi 3790 user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have been brave enough to get to the battery I would definitely purchase a replacement and fit it yourself, there is an example on Ebay (Click HERE), for £8 (UK Pounds), note that this battery has a number of 361-00064-02

BTW
    I personally would not have accepted a 3790LT with a 5 year old battery in place of a 3790LMT + $200 (CAN) because for the price of $15 (CAN) + Labour the repairers have got a fully working 3790LMT, I would ask for a refund

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 30, 2016
  3. Nuvi 3790 user

Nuvi 3790 user

Thanks for your response.

Garmin, or Garmin authorized repair shop, made the decision to substitute the lower quality GPS without advising me. The model number on the bezel of the old and new GPS units is only nuvi 3790, so it was not obvious to me that the replacement did not have Lifetime Map updates.

It worked fine when I got it, and then started showing battery charging problems after 4 months (just after it went out of its repair warranty). I assumed it was the LMT version until I started getting messages that its maps needed updating and "click here to buy new maps". It then seemed to charge properly for a few months, until now when the charge indication is a thin red bar, which never gets better no matter how long I charge it.

I didn't realize how old the GPS was until I opened it up. Needless to say, I am not impressed by the business ethics of Garmin or its authorized repair shop, especially after having to pay $200 up front.

This model is no longer available, probably because of its screen size.

Nuvi 3790 user, May 1, 2016
Ask a Question