Nuvi 40LM! So what happened and how did I/it repair?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ratchet, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ratchet

ratchet

My Garmin was left in the Subaru for several weeks here in the NW part of PA, so some temps in the 20s at times. I have no idea if that had anything to do with the following. I turn it on this weekend in preparation for a trip (a "Favorite" destination) and it continually opens with the statement (I paraphrase) "Detail map not available!" Once I got close to Cleveland I turn it on for the navigation I needed if for and the total mileage to the destination was always correct (I think) but the the voice was mentioning turns for roads and streets that were never there and except for one time, the graphic in the upper left that lists the mileage and distance never materialized. The fact that it showed up once is as perplexing as the overall fiasco.
    So now we are basically lost in Cleveland and I turn it off, turn it on several times, hoping it helps but no luck. I've been updating the maps for several years and I thought if I removed the sim card it might default to the original map but when I turned it on again I still received the same start message and it did not function correctly.
    During our visit (We muddled our way there!) it dawned on me that a hard shutdown and reboot might be needed. I didn't know and still don't, as that is the reason I'm posting, if that is possible. What I do know is that I held the power button down for at least 10 seconds and it started normally and worked perfectly from then on!
    Does anyone know what went on here? Thank you!

ratchet, Dec 27, 2014
  2. ratchet

Kevin.Hutch

Recovery

My experience with Garmins doing unexplained things is to hold the on/off switch for about 20 sec until it reboots itself and all is forgiven. As for what happened or caused it who knows just a computer thing.

Kevin H

Kevin.Hutch, Dec 28, 2014
  3. ratchet

ratchet

Thank you!

ratchet, Dec 28, 2014
Ask a Question