nuvi 55 won't find towns on search - any help?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by abrogard, Jan 14, 2023.

1. abrogard

abrogard

We have this old nuvi 55 and just yesterday it stopped working. On the search thing. When you want to input an address to go to.
    it lets you input the town name - like 'Mile End' we were looking for in Adelaide SA.
    But then it just hangs there supposedly searching for Mile End.
    Doesn't matter what you input, same thing happens.
    So I ran it through Garmin Express today and got it all up to date.
    But that didn't help.
    Is it now dead?

abrogard, Jan 14, 2023
  2. abrogard

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The town name is built into the map so if the unit can't 'see' a valid map it won't work, some maps don't have name info. so if you have map enabled that doesn't contain names it won't work

I would suggest a full reset of the unit please note that this will delete all Routes, favourite waypoints etc (But not maps). so you need to back up any data that you want to keep to a computer first

Turn on Nuvi
    View Map
    Touch Speed (bottom left) to display trip screen
    Touch and hold speed circle for 5 seconds ( top centre)
    Select 'Clear all user data'
    Erase all user data >> Yes

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 14, 2023
  3. abrogard

abrogard

Thank you. This will work with my old Nuvi ? A '55' ? Sounds like a 'user data' type fix - i.e. fixing a problem brought about by user configurations etc. particularly user maps (if that's possible). I have no configurations and certainly no user maps.
    Concerning maps the update just installed the latest maps, of course. I was expecting this to fix everything simply on that basis.
    I will try to find how to download user data - I do have some recorded old trips with waypoints and whatever - and then do this thing.
    Does the Nuvi have a way to do that or it's a question of seeing the thing from the pc as a file structure and selecting the right files?

abrogard, Jan 14, 2023
  4. abrogard

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, I tried it on a Nuvi 56, basically the same model

It is a reset of everything not just user data, updating maps does not reset the operating system

You can backup waypoints, Routes etc. using Garmin Basecamp (highlight them all and then Export them to a gpx file stored on the computer

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 14, 2023
  5. abrogard

abrogard

Thank you. Did the export. Now I'm at 'turn on nuvi..'
    I'm in the shed with the thing before me.
    wondering if I should:
    turn on as it is, disconnected from everything..
    or turn on connected to the arial in the car
    or turn on connected to the pc and garmin software...

trying the first... see how I go...

Hoho..... all done! Tested and working.... found the street it couldn't find before... found the town... all good.

Wonderful. Thank you.
    New things I've learned from you these couple of days. We will put the thing to more use now. We were beginning to think it was too old, as one does nowadays, our electronic devices becoming outdated and superceded all the time quicker than we can keep up.

Like the smartphone google thing has been getting us out of trouble when the garmin didn't work.

And garmin doesn't even recognise the 55 any more, it seems.

But now it looks like a real working valuable piece of kit again, which I'm please about because I used to really love it. Used to walk the bush making my own trails with it - those are the 'waypoints' and such that I mentioned. Haven't done anything for the longest time.

I really do appreciate this, it has been good. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    abrogard, Jan 14, 2023
Ask a Question